Ignition: Potential Difference & Electric Field for Spark Plug

In summary, potential difference is required to initiate the ignition of a spark plug in a car with electrodes separated by 0.6mm. Increasing the separation between electrodes will result in a decrease in the potential difference needed. A graph of the electrical field magnitude as a function of electrode separation will show a rectangular hyperbola. The equation for this is deltaV = - E x d for a uniform electric field.
sci0x
Question: Spark plug in car has electrodes. They are spearated by 0.6mm. To create spark electric field of 3.0x10^6 V/m is needed.

a) What Potential difference is requuired to initiate the ignition.
Possible Answer: Is this just multiply Electric field by the distance between electrodes which would be -1800 J/C?

b) When separation between electrodes is increased, how does this affect the potential difference to initiate the spark? Explain
Possible Answer I'm guessing that potential difference will become more negative, thus decrease. I can't explain it though, could someone please.

c)Draw a graph that shows the magnitude of the electrical field as a function of the electrode separation.
Possible Answer Havn't done this yet, but I should get a straight line through the origin?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Part a. ok
patt b. : VB - VA = - E.d where A is at a higher potantial than B. Hence,
(vB - vA) is a negative number. But we have added a negative sign in the right hand side to couter it. So when you increase d, the VA-VB will increase.

Plug in a value and see. say VB= 0V, VA= 50V, Then 50=Ed. If you increase d two fold. then (VB-VA)= -E 2d = -100 V

You can safely say that the magnitude of the potantial difference need to be increased to have a spark.

Partc:

not a straight line: Plot E vs. d. This is of the form xy = c^2. It's a rectangular hypabola.

I have the same question with different numbers and I have a question about it.

deltaV = - E x d for a uniform electric field

My assignment accepted a positive answer. What happened to the negative sign?

Related to Ignition: Potential Difference & Electric Field for Spark Plug

1. How does a spark plug work?

A spark plug works by creating a spark of electricity that ignites the air-fuel mixture in an internal combustion engine. This spark is created by a high voltage potential difference between the center electrode and the ground electrode of the spark plug.

2. What is potential difference and how is it related to spark plugs?

Potential difference is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. In the case of spark plugs, the potential difference is created by the battery and ignition coil, and it is responsible for creating the spark that ignites the air-fuel mixture in the engine.

3. How is the electric field involved in spark plug operation?

The electric field is crucial for the operation of a spark plug. It is created by the potential difference between the center and ground electrodes and it helps to ionize the air-fuel mixture, allowing for the spark to jump between the electrodes and ignite the mixture.

4. What factors affect the potential difference and electric field in a spark plug?

The potential difference in a spark plug is affected by the voltage produced by the ignition coil and the resistance of the spark plug itself. The electric field is affected by the distance between the electrodes, the shape of the electrodes, and the makeup of the air-fuel mixture.

5. How can I tell if my spark plug has a potential difference and electric field problem?

If your spark plug is not producing a spark or if the spark is weak, it may be due to a potential difference or electric field problem. You can check the resistance of the spark plug and the voltage output of the ignition coil to determine if these components are functioning properly.