I am 27 with a systems engineering and interested in physics

In summary, the speaker has been working for four years and recently obtained an engineering degree, but has become increasingly interested in physics and is considering pursuing a BS in Germany with a government scholarship. They are seeking advice on whether this is a good idea and what their career options would be in both industry and academia. The advice given is to research recent graduates and their job placements to determine the viability of pursuing a degree in physics and to carefully consider their level of passion and dedication for the subject.
d3_neux
I have been working about 4 years in the same company and got my engineering like 2 years ago, I am a good engineer but around 3 or 4 years ago I became very interested in physics and astrophysics. Maybe getting a BS in Germany because there is not very expensive, I am from Ecuador and I can get a government scholarship so I don't think money would be a problem.

What do you thing about this, can you give me some advice or tell me your story if you went through something similar?

Physics news on Phys.org
To what end? What do you want to do if you do get a BS in physics? Is this just for personal enjoyment, or do you want to work in some aspect of physics?

If you have a good job and some experience, think twice before you discard that to start over in an area where jobs may well be few and far between.

If you want to go into industry, then go to your local university library and get the physics magazines like Physics Today or whatever they are lately called. Get the issues that show recent graduates and where they got jobs. You can Google this, or your university librarian will be able to help you. Look at those jobs. If they look attractive, then it's a possible place to get a degree. If those jobs look boring or worse, keep reading until something does catch your eye.

Consider whether you could get the job you want with the degree you already have. Many of the skills in the two degrees are similar. Many jobs will require "a BSc in science or engineering" but will not specify as closely as physics. For example, computer programming is required for both. A lot of the math is the same in both.

If you want to go into academia it is a very different story. Be sure you are "in love" with the subject before you pursue that. It should not be just a hobby, but a passion. It should be something you would do massive amounts in your own time without prompting. Are you spending 20 hours per week on physics already? Maybe academia is for you. Spending 2 hours per week on it? Probably not. Still the advice is the same. See where recent graduates got positions, and see which ones you might enjoy.

Likes OldEngr63
DEvens comment is good advice, particularly the part about the dedication required for academia.

As a scientist, it is exciting to hear about your interest in physics and astrophysics. It is never too late to pursue your passion and continue your education. Getting a BS in Germany is a great opportunity, especially with the possibility of a government scholarship. My advice would be to research the universities and programs in Germany that align with your interests and reach out to current students or professors to learn more about their experiences. It may also be helpful to speak with a career counselor or advisor to discuss your goals and create a plan for achieving them. As for my own experience, I also had a change in interests during my academic and professional career. I found that pursuing my passion for science and continuously learning has been incredibly fulfilling. I wish you all the best in your journey towards studying physics and astrophysics in Germany.

Related to I am 27 with a systems engineering and interested in physics

1. What is systems engineering?

Systems engineering is an interdisciplinary field of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and management of complex systems. It involves a holistic approach to problem-solving, considering all components and their interactions within a system.

2. What is the importance of systems engineering in physics?

Systems engineering plays a crucial role in physics as it helps in designing and developing complex systems, such as particle accelerators and telescope arrays. It also helps in analyzing and optimizing these systems to ensure their efficiency and effectiveness in scientific experiments and research.

3. How does systems engineering relate to physics?

Systems engineering and physics are closely related as both fields involve studying and understanding complex systems. Systems engineering provides a framework and methodology for approaching and solving problems in physics, while physics principles and theories are used to analyze and improve engineering systems.

4. What skills are necessary for a systems engineer interested in physics?

A systems engineer interested in physics should have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. They should also possess critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills to design and optimize complex systems. Good communication and teamwork skills are also essential for collaborating with other scientists and engineers.

5. How can a systems engineer contribute to advancements in physics?

A systems engineer can contribute to advancements in physics by providing a holistic approach to problem-solving and designing complex systems for scientific experiments and research. They can also use their skills in optimization and analysis to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of existing systems in physics. Additionally, systems engineers can collaborate with physicists and other scientists to develop innovative solutions for challenging problems in the field of physics.