How to take into account Force when comparing two lengths?

In summary, the attached picture sums up my experiment. I used a slinky (a kind of a bouncing spring) to see the relationship between its maximum length when released and the length of its first rebound. However, I released the slinky using various different magnitudes of force. I used a sensor (a LabQuest 2) so I know the position, velocity and acceleration of the slinky for all my data points at all times. I'm guessing the force would equal mass of the slinky times acceleration at time 0 for each data point. But how would I put that into consider in my experiment? It does need to be considered. I want to make calculations such that both lengths reflect what would happen if the slinky was
Sagar Bhatt
The attached picture sums up my experiment. I used a slinky (a kind of a bouncing spring) to see the relationship between its maximum length when released and the length of its first rebound. However, I released the slinky using various different magnitudes of force. I used a sensor (a LabQuest 2) so I know the position, velocity and acceleration of the slinky for all my data points at all times. I'm guessing the force would equal mass of the slinky times acceleration at time 0 for each data point. But how would I put that into consider in my experiment? It does need to be considered. I want to make calculations such that both lengths reflect what would happen if the slinky was dropped at a constant force for all data points.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    23 KB · Views: 538
Physics news on Phys.org
Please detail the experiment - what are you doing step by step?
The diagram suggests you throw it from a height.

i.e. Are you holding one end some distance above the floor so the other end touches the floor, then releasing that end?

Likes Sagar Bhatt
I'm not sure I understand your procedure or objective. Is the Slinky initially suspended from a fixed stand? Before you stretch the Slinky, are its coils fully compressed? Are you trying to determine how much energy is lost in the rebound?

Likes Sagar Bhatt
Simon Bridge said:
what are you doing step by step?
1. I'm taking a slinky and releasing it from three different heights above the LabQuest sensor.
2. (The height doesn't matter here, the slinky's initial length when released and the length of the subsequent rebound do.)
3. (The height's only changed because sometimes the slinky gets too long and it crashes into the sensor, which it musn't, and at other times gets too short and thus it's too far away from the sensor to be detected.)
4. The sensor collects data (time, position (m), velocity (m/s), acceleration (m/s^2)) for 5 seconds, though really all the information I need is collected within the first 2 seconds.

Simon Bridge said:
i.e. Are you holding one end some distance above the floor so the other end touches the floor, then releasing that end?
It doesn't touch the floor, it's left suspended above the sensor. I do measure the distance from the top of the sensor to the slinky's bottom (when it's stationary). I only release the slinky once, and then observe it bouncing down and then rebounding.

Last edited:
brotherStefan said:
Is the Slinky initially suspended from a fixed stand?
It's suspended from three fixed heights. As I said in the reply before, the height doesn't matter here, the slinky's initial length when released and the length of the subsequent rebound do. The height's only changed because sometimes the slinky gets too long and it crashes into the sensor, which it musn't, and at other times gets too short and thus it's too far away from the sensor to be detected.

brotherStefan said:
Before you stretch the Slinky, are its coils fully compressed?
Yes, the coils are fully compressed before it is released.

brotherStefan said:
Are you trying to determine how much energy is lost in the rebound?
I'm not trying to determine how much energy's lost in the rebound. I'm trying to measure the relationship between the maximum length of the slinky when it first bounces to the length of the first rebound.

I just made a new diagram to be clearer. Really need the help
Updated.PNG

When you say you are releasing the slinky and it rebounds, I am picturing you holding the slinky at the top end, then ;letting go of the top end so the entire slinky falls. If so then how do you control the length before it drops? i.e.
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/09/26/slinky-drop-physics/#.VtTaGrJ97VM

But maybe you mean that the slinky is fixed at the top, you stretch it from the bottom and let the bottom end go so that end bobs up and down? So it is a mass-on-spring experiment without a physical weight on the end? (This is what the plots appear to show.)

If so then: for what purpose do you need to account for the different force needed to produce the different lengths? Unless you push or pull a bit more on the end when you let it go?
Otherwise - No - the force on the slinky is not it's mass of the slinky times the acceleration of the end because different parts are under different accelerations. You need to model the slinky as a massless spring with a mass on the end of it ... you can do some tests to find out if the slinky obey's hook's law first.
But you also need to know why you are doing it.

It is usually easier to understand this sort of result in terms of energy changes.

Last edited:
Likes Sagar Bhatt

Related to How to take into account Force when comparing two lengths?

1. How does force affect length?

Force can affect length in several ways. The most common way is through tension, where a force is applied to an object, causing it to stretch or compress. Another way is through compression, where a force is applied to an object, causing it to decrease in length. Additionally, force can also cause objects to bend or deform, which can also affect their length.

2. Why is it important to consider force when comparing lengths?

It is important to consider force when comparing lengths because force can significantly alter the apparent length of an object. For example, a rope may appear longer when it is not under tension, but when a force is applied, it may stretch and become longer. This can impact the accuracy of length measurements and must be taken into account for precise comparisons.

3. How do you measure force and length?

Force is typically measured using a device called a force meter or a spring scale. These devices measure the amount of force being applied to an object in units of newtons. Length is usually measured using a ruler, tape measure, or caliper, and is expressed in units of meters or centimeters.

4. Can force be used to manipulate length?

Yes, force can be used to manipulate length. As mentioned before, tension can stretch an object, causing it to become longer. This principle is utilized in many everyday objects, such as elastic bands or bungee cords. Additionally, force can also be used to compress an object, making it shorter, or to bend and shape it into a desired length.

5. How can you account for force when comparing two lengths?

To account for force when comparing two lengths, you must first measure the lengths without any applied force. Then, you can apply the force and measure the new lengths. By subtracting the initial lengths from the final lengths, you can determine the amount of change caused by the force. This difference must then be taken into consideration when comparing the two lengths to get an accurate comparison.