How to start with String Theory

In summary, the best introduction to strings might be "A First Course in String Theory" by Zwiebach, or "Lectures on String Theory" by Lust and Theisen. Other good introductions are "Superstrings, the Intersection of the Physical and Mathematical Worlds" by Green, "The Elegant Universe" by Witten, and "Tong's String Theory" by Tong.
Breo
Hello folks,

I want to starting learning the subject this Christmas (Merry Christmas :D) and I am wondering what would be the best way to introduce me to Strings.

I am a masters student in Theoretical Physics.

Best wishes, and many thanks in advance.
Breo.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say you take the course in University. If you are not in University then I would suggest Zwiebach " A first course in String theory" (it was suggested to me on a similar thread). After reading Zwiebach you could read the 2 Volumes of Polchinski or Schwarz and Becker(expensive, and I haven't read Becker or Schwarz yet so I can't judge them)... 200 posts :)

What do you think about the free notes by t' Hooft and others?

I am sorry but I haven't read them, so I can't say. But if you have a degree in theoretical physics I would say you can defenetly leave out the first chapters of Zwiebach. In chapter 4 he starts with nonrelativistic Strings and goes on to relativistic Strings in chapter 6 and inpart two he describes the developments, black hole entropy and so on.
Sorry, I really don't know of the notes.

Last edited by a moderator:
moriheru said:
Does the Introduction include superstrings?
Yes.

I liked the combination of Green,Schwartz,Witten and the notes by Tong. Tong only covers bosonic string theory but gives many intuitive explanations, and adds the CFT which is lacking from GSW (due to historical reasons).

Becker2Schwartz is only nice for the first few chapters; after that it becomes very encyclopedical. Which is useful for looking things up, not for learning. Polchinski I never liked. I used Zwiebach for a Bachelor's course on string theory. Also highly recommended, for creating some intuition. :)

Thank you to everyone! And Merry Saturnalias!

Related to How to start with String Theory

1. What is String Theory?

String Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of matter and the forces that govern the universe. It proposes that all particles in the universe are made up of tiny, vibrating strings and that the different vibrations of these strings correspond to different particles.

2. How did String Theory originate?

String Theory was first developed in the late 1960s as a way to reconcile quantum mechanics and general relativity. It has since evolved into a complex and highly debated theory in the field of theoretical physics.

3. What is the current state of research in String Theory?

String Theory is still a work in progress and has not yet been proven through experimental evidence. However, it has led to important mathematical developments and has inspired new avenues of research in physics.

4. What are the implications of String Theory?

If proven to be true, String Theory would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe, potentially providing a unified explanation for all physical phenomena. It could also lead to new technologies and advancements in fields such as quantum computing.

5. How can I start learning about String Theory?

To start learning about String Theory, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. You can begin by reading introductory books and articles, attending lectures or workshops, and discussing the theory with experts in the field. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of other theories, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity, which are closely related to String Theory.