How satisfying is working for NASA?

• Thread starter Kay Mc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nasa
In summary, some people have said that working for NASA takes a long time and may not be satisfying, but working as a contractor for the agency can provide valuable experience and opportunities to work with top professionals in the field. However, the annual budget process and potential for political influence can create a volatile work environment. Overall, working for NASA can be a great starting point for a career, but may not be a good long-term option for some individuals.
Kay Mc
Its always been a dream of mine to work for NASA but so many people (whether they've worked for them or not), have said that it takes so long to work towards and it isn't even that satisfying of a job...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kay Mc.
smiley_sign_welcome.gif

Best of luck pursuing your dream. Perhaps you could be the one to prove the naysayers wrong (including those who have never worked for NASA?). Interested in colonising Mars? [emoji573]

Otherwise, there is always career plan #2 to fall back on. [emoji4]

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
We have occasional threads about NASA here in our Career Guidance forum:

Click on the "Search" link at the top right corner of the page and enter 'NASA'.

Last edited:
Kay Mc said:
Its always been a dream of mine to work for NASA but so many people (whether they've worked for them or not), have said that it takes so long to work towards and it isn't even that satisfying of a job...

I worked as a NASA contractor in the microgravity science division for a while, I was not a civil servant (government employee), and there are real differences between the two. On the whole, everyone works together as equals. Here's my perspective.

In my experience, I was privileged to work with some of the best engineers and technicians on the planet and I learned a ton of stuff that I've carried with me- how to design and construct scientific instruments that are robust and will work in harsh environments, for example. I was also privileged to work with world-class PIs (the scientists who conceive and design the various experiments. Basically, I learned a lot and was able to (professionally) live at the leading edge (or bleeding edge, if you prefer...).

But it's also a government agency and thus susceptible to political machinations. The biggest a$$-ache is the annual budget situation. Every year the budget has to be appropriated and negotiated, and so every year around May stress levels and busywork would rise because (in theory) anyone's project could be summarily ended. So every year, months would be spent on gathering information and generating PowerPoint presentations designed to show how our project is the most important and deserving of funding. Going along with that, every year administrative burdens on projects would increase, there is much wailing and rending of garments about project schedules slipping, etc. etc.

On balance, I easily recommend working for NASA as a starting (or early-career) position to gain amazing experience and then move on. Not sure it's a good lifetime career option, although I know several 'lifers' who are really happy.

Likes TheCanadian
NASA is a volatile work environment, as Andy noted. Not the best choice for anyone prone to fret over trivial matters - like job security.

Related to How satisfying is working for NASA?

1. What is the work environment like at NASA?

The work environment at NASA is dynamic and fast-paced. It is a combination of both office and laboratory settings, with scientists and engineers working together to achieve a common goal. The culture at NASA is highly collaborative and encourages innovation and creativity.

2. What kind of projects do scientists work on at NASA?

NASA scientists work on a wide range of projects, from studying Earth's climate to exploring other planets and galaxies. They also work on developing new technologies and conducting groundbreaking research in areas such as astrophysics, planetary science, and aeronautics.

3. How does NASA support its employees' professional development?

NASA offers a variety of opportunities for professional development, including workshops, seminars, conferences, and training programs. Employees also have access to online courses and mentoring programs to help them develop new skills and advance in their careers.

4. What is the work-life balance like for NASA employees?

NASA values work-life balance and strives to provide a healthy and supportive work environment for its employees. Flexible work arrangements, such as telecommuting and compressed workweeks, are available to help employees balance their personal and professional lives.

5. How does NASA foster diversity and inclusion in the workplace?

NASA is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The agency has various initiatives to promote diversity and inclusion, such as employee resource groups, mentorship programs, and diversity training. NASA also actively recruits and supports underrepresented groups in the STEM fields.