How Does the Delta Function Simplify Integral Equations in Arken's Text?

• Thread starter Hariraumurthy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: The person is unsure how to reduce the equation and is seeking clarification on whether or not the boundary is fixed. They are also questioning the need for integration by parts and asking for assistance with solving the problem.
Hariraumurthy

Homework Statement

I am trying to read arken's section on integral equations because I need it for a problem I am trying to attack. I am stuck on a part of a page. I have attached the relevant excerpt from the book.(Not the whole book because it is copyrighted)

Homework Equations

I am stuck on equation 16.9. That is I am not sure how for the special case of [tex]v\left( {\vec r,\vec r'} \right) = v\left( {\vec r} \right)\delta \left( {\vec r - \vec r'} \right)[/tex], that
[tex]\left( {{\nabla ^2} + {a^2}} \right)\psi \left( {\vec r} \right) = \int {v\left( {\vec r,\vec r'} \right)} \psi \left( {\vec r} \right){d^3}\left( {r'} \right)[/tex] reduces to [tex]\left( {{\nabla ^2} + {a^2}} \right)\psi \left( {\vec r} \right) = v\left( {\vec r} \right)\psi \left( {\vec r} \right)[/tex]
when

The Attempt at a Solution

If [tex]{\vec r}[/tex] is in the region of integration [tex]\Omega [/tex] (case 1), then using integration by parts, the reduced RHS is given by [tex]\int\limits_\Omega ^{} {v\left( {\vec r'} \right)\psi \left( {\vec r'} \right)} \delta \left( {\vec r - \vec r'} \right){d^3}\left( {r'} \right) = {\left[ {v\left( {r'} \right)v(r')} \right]_\Omega } - \int_\Omega ^{} d \left( {v\left( {\vec r'} \right)\psi \left( {\vec r'} \right)} \right)[/tex] since in general the integral of [tex]\delta \left( {\vec x} \right)[/tex] over any region containing [tex]\vec x = 0[/tex] is 1. The second integral [tex]\int_\Omega ^{} d \left( {v\left( {\vec r'} \right)\psi \left( {\vec r'} \right)} \right)[/tex] is just [tex]{\left[ {v\left( {r'} \right)v(r')} \right]_\Omega }[/tex]. Therefore the RHS is 0 which is not the LHS.

Case 2: [tex]\vec r \notin \Omega [/tex]. Doing the same integration by parts, the reduced RHS is
[tex]{\left[ {v\left( {r'} \right)v(r')} \right]_\Omega }\int_\Omega ^{} {\delta \left( {\vec r - \vec r'} \right)} {d^3}\left( {r'} \right) - \int_\Omega ^{} {\left( {\left( {\int_\Omega ^{} {\delta \left( {\vec r - \vec r'} \right){d^3}\left( {r'} \right)} } \right)d\left( {v\left( {\vec r'} \right)\psi \left( {\vec r'} \right)} \right)} \right)} = 0 - 0 \ne RHS[/tex].

In summary I am having trouble verifying that for the special case of 16.9, 16.8 reduces to 16.6.

Also is [tex]\partial \Omega [/tex] fixed or not?(my guess is that the boundary is fixed because Arken transforms this into a fredholm equation of the second kind later on in the page(included in the excerpt.)

Thanks in advance for replying.

Attachments

• Excerpt from Arken Mathematical Methods for physicists.pdf
    178.3 KB · Views: 184
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

You simply have to consider that

[itex]\int_{\Omega}\mathrm{d}x f(x) \delta(x) = f(0) \; \mathrm{if} \; 0\in \Omega, \mathrm{or} =0 \; \mathrm{if} \; 0\notin\Omega[/itex];

no integration by parts is needed :)

Ilm

Related to How Does the Delta Function Simplify Integral Equations in Arken's Text?

1. What are integral equations?

Integral equations are mathematical equations that involve both an unknown function and an integral. They are used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and quantum mechanics.

2. How are integral equations solved?

The solution to an integral equation is typically found by converting it into a corresponding differential equation, which can then be solved using standard techniques such as separation of variables or Green's functions. Alternatively, numerical methods can be used to solve integral equations directly.

3. What is the significance of integral equations in science?

Integral equations play a crucial role in many areas of science and engineering. They provide a powerful tool for modeling and analyzing complex systems, and have applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics.

4. Can integral equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, integral equations can have multiple solutions. This is because the integral in the equation can represent an accumulation of many different functions, and each of these functions can satisfy the equation. The number of solutions depends on the specific form of the integral equation and the boundary conditions.

5. What are some real-world applications of integral equations?

Integral equations are used in a wide range of real-world applications, including modeling the flow of fluids in pipes, predicting the behavior of electrical circuits, and analyzing the vibrations of mechanical systems. They are also used in image and signal processing, medical imaging, and optimization problems.