How Does a Bug Landing on a Sphere Affect Angular Momentum and Torque?

The torque about the axis would still be the same. In summary, the problem involves two identical spheres on a rod, with a bug landing on one of the spheres. The system is initially at rest and free to rotate. The torque and angular acceleration of the system are determined, and later on the problem asks for the angular speed of the bug, angular momentum of the system, and the force exerted on the bug by the sphere to keep it from being thrown off. The solution involves using the equations for torque and force, and considering the negligible radius of the spheres and the force of gravity on the system.
Almoore01
Hi, I have no idea how to do this problem, wondering if anyone can help:

Two identical spheres, each of mass M and negligible radius, are fastened to opposite ends of a rod of negligible mass and length 2l. This system is initially at rest with the rod horizontal and is free to rotate about a frictionless, horizontal axis through the center of the rod and perpendicular to the plane of the page. A bug of mass 3M, lands gently on the sphere on the left. Assume that the size od the bug is small compared to the length of the rod. Express your answers to all parts of the question in terms of M, l, and physical constants.

a.) Determine the torque about the axis immediately after the bug lands on the sphere.

b.) Determine the angular acceleration of the rod-spheres-bug system immediately after the bugs lands.

Then later on in the problem, it states: The rod-sphere-bug system swings about the axis. At the instant that the rod is verticle determine each of the following:

c.) The angular speed of the bug.

d.) The angular momentum of the system

e.) The MAGNITUDE and DIRECTION of the force that must be exerted on the bug by the wphere to keep the bug from being thrown off the sphere.

So, I know that Torque = r * F or Torque = I * omega for part "a", but passed that I don't know where to go because I don't know what the force "F" would be and I'm not given the moment of inertia or angular velocity...

I'm really confused...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the freebie...but it doesn't help me with part A. After that, I think I might be able to do it.

What forces act on the system? What torques do they exert about the axis?

The force of the bug-sphere on the entire system.

So, is it right to do Net Force = ma, then: F + mg = ma, where F is the force of the bug on the sphere. Then I got F = mg = 4Mg for the sphere with the bug. The one without the bug is just Mg. From there I did Torque = r x F, and got 4Mgl - Mgl = 3Mgl.

Is that how it's supposed to be done though, or was it just good guessing because in the figure, they show the bug landing on the side of the sphere and not on the top, which I thought would effect the F = ma process?

Almoore01 said:
The force of the bug-sphere on the entire system.

So, is it right to do Net Force = ma, then: F + mg = ma, where F is the force of the bug on the sphere. Then I got F = mg = 4Mg for the sphere with the bug. The one without the bug is just Mg. From there I did Torque = r x F, and got 4Mgl - Mgl = 3Mgl.
The bug lands gently on the sphere, so the only force you need to worry about is gravity.

Is that how it's supposed to be done though, or was it just good guessing because in the figure, they show the bug landing on the side of the sphere and not on the top, which I thought would effect the F = ma process?
Since the radii of the spheres are negligible, it doesn't matter where the bug lands.

Related to How Does a Bug Landing on a Sphere Affect Angular Momentum and Torque?

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object, calculated as the product of its moment of inertia and angular velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is conserved in a closed system.

2. How is angular momentum different from linear momentum?

Angular momentum relates to an object's rotational motion, while linear momentum relates to its linear motion. Angular momentum is calculated using the moment of inertia, while linear momentum is calculated using mass and velocity.

3. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated as the product of force and the distance from the axis of rotation.

4. How are angular momentum and torque related?

Angular momentum and torque are related through Newton's Second Law of Motion (F=ma). Torque is the angular equivalent of force, and changes in torque will result in changes in angular momentum.

5. How is angular momentum used in real-world applications?

Angular momentum is used in many real-world applications, including gyroscopes, satellites, and figure skating. It is also an important concept in understanding the rotation of planets and galaxies.