How do we derive an Algebraic Companion Form equation set?

In summary, an algebraic companion form equation set is derived by converting a system of linear equations into a matrix form and then using matrix operations to simplify and transform it into a diagonal form. Its purpose is to make solving linear equations more efficient and it involves steps such as finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors. It is not always unique and has applications in engineering, physics, and economics.
EverGreen1231
Hello,

I'm trying to study a settingless relaying scheme for Power System protection. The method is fairly well known and requires that one model a piece of equipment (like a transformer) with differential equation sets and compare that computational model with the actual operating behavior. If the two differ beyond assumptions of error, then tripping is performed.

The Basic form of the equation relies on "through" variables (current) and "across" variables (voltages). So if you have a piece of equipment that has three terminals through which current flows and across which a potential difference is measured (the voltages and current are time-varying), the system of equations can be written as...
##\begin{bmatrix}\textbf{i}\\ 0\\\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}\textbf{f}_{1}(\dot{\textbf{v}}, \dot{\textbf{y}}, ... , \int\textbf{v}, \int\textbf{y}, ...,\textbf{u}, \textbf{v}, \textbf{y}, t )\\ \textbf{f}_{2}(\dot{\textbf{v}}, \dot{\textbf{y}}, ... , \int\textbf{v}, \int\textbf{y}, ...,\textbf{u}, \textbf{v}, \textbf{y}, t )\end{bmatrix}##

f1 and f2 are arbitrary vector functions, i is the vector for the "through" variables (in this case I would assume i = (i1, i2, i3) for a three terminal device), v is the vector for the "across variables," y is a vector for internal state variables, and u is a vector for independent controls.

The literature I found says that to attain the Algebraic Companion Form you have to integrate over the simulation period 'h'.

##\int_{0}^{h}\begin{bmatrix}\textbf{i}\\ 0\\\end{bmatrix} = \int_{0}^{h} \begin{bmatrix}\textbf{f}_{1}(\dot{\textbf{v}}, \dot{\textbf{y}}, ... , \int\textbf{v}, \int\textbf{y}, ...,\textbf{u}, \textbf{v}, \textbf{y}, t )\\ \textbf{f}_{2}(\dot{\textbf{v}}, \dot{\textbf{y}}, ... , \int\textbf{v}, \int\textbf{y}, ...,\textbf{u}, \textbf{v}, \textbf{y}, t )\end{bmatrix}##If you do then you attain the below expression...

##\begin{bmatrix}\textbf{i}(t)\\ 0\\\end{bmatrix} =\textbf{G}(\textbf{v}(t), \textbf{v}(t - h), \textbf{i}(t), \textbf{i}(t - h), \textbf{y}(t), \textbf{y}(t - h), t)\begin{bmatrix}\textbf{v}(t)\\ \textbf{y}(t)\\\end{bmatrix} + \frac{1}{2}\begin{bmatrix}\textbf{K}(\textbf{v}(t), \textbf{v}(t-h), \textbf{i}(t), \textbf{i}(t-h), \textbf{y}(t), \textbf{y}(t-h), t)\\ \textbf{Q}(\textbf{v}(t), \textbf{v}(t-h), \textbf{i}(t), \textbf{i}(t-h), \textbf{y}(t), \textbf{y}(t-h), t)\\\end{bmatrix} - \begin{bmatrix}\textbf{O}(t-h)\\\textbf{P}(t-h)\\\end{bmatrix} + \begin{bmatrix}\beta\\\alpha \\\end{bmatrix}##

Where G is the Jacobian matrix, O and P are vectors depending only on past history values of through, across or internal states. ##\beta## and ##\alpha## denote cubic and higher order terms, and vectors K and Q represent the quadratic term.My concern is that I'm not entirely sure how to come to the ACF (Algebraic Companion Form). I suppose this would be more along the lines of graduate level stuff, but I would like to be able to understand how one goes from the general form to the ACF. If anyone could provide an explanation, or perhaps literature on the subject, I would be much obliged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in studying a settingless relaying scheme for Power System protection. The method you are referring to is indeed a well-known approach for modeling equipment in power systems and comparing it to the actual operating behavior. I can provide some insights into how one goes from the general form to the Algebraic Companion Form (ACF).

First, it is important to understand that the ACF is a mathematical representation of the system of equations that is used for simulation and analysis. The ACF is derived from the general form by integrating over the simulation period 'h'. This integration is necessary because in power systems, the variables are time-varying, and the ACF allows us to calculate the values of these variables at any given time.

To derive the ACF, we first need to define the variables in the general form. The vector i represents the "through" variables, which in your example is the current flowing through a three-terminal device. The vector v represents the "across" variables, which in this case is the potential difference measured across the device. The vector y represents the internal state variables, and the vector u represents the independent controls.

Next, we need to define the functions f1 and f2. These are arbitrary vector functions that describe the behavior of the system. In the general form, these functions are a function of time, but in the ACF, they are a function of the current and past values of the variables. This is because the ACF takes into account the time-varying nature of the variables.

To derive the ACF, we integrate the general form over the simulation period 'h'. This means that we are calculating the values of the variables at each time step, from 0 to h. This integration results in the expression you provided in your post, with the Jacobian matrix G, the vectors O and P, and the cubic and higher-order terms.

In summary, the ACF is derived from the general form by integrating over the simulation period. It takes into account the time-varying nature of the variables and allows for simulation and analysis of the system. I hope this explanation helps in your understanding of the ACF. If you would like to further explore this topic, I suggest looking into literature on numerical methods for power system analysis.

Related to How do we derive an Algebraic Companion Form equation set?

1. How is an algebraic companion form equation set derived?

An algebraic companion form equation set is derived by converting a system of linear equations into a matrix form and then using various matrix operations such as row reduction and matrix inversion to simplify and transform the equations into a diagonal form.

2. What is the purpose of an algebraic companion form equation set?

The purpose of an algebraic companion form equation set is to make solving a system of linear equations easier and more efficient. It allows for the identification of the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix, which can then be used to find the solutions to the system of equations.

3. What are the steps involved in deriving an algebraic companion form equation set?

The steps involved in deriving an algebraic companion form equation set include converting the linear equations into a matrix form, performing row operations to simplify the matrix, finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix, and using them to construct the final diagonal form of the equations.

4. Is an algebraic companion form equation set always unique?

No, an algebraic companion form equation set is not always unique. The diagonal form of the equations can vary depending on the initial matrix, and there can be multiple ways to perform the necessary matrix operations to arrive at the final form.

5. What are the applications of using an algebraic companion form equation set?

An algebraic companion form equation set has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It is commonly used to solve systems of linear equations, analyze the behavior of dynamical systems, and perform stability analysis for control systems.