How do I prove the homogeneity of a function of degree n?

In summary, Callisto asks for help solving a problem that has him using the chain rule for partial derivatives. Daniel does not have the answer and instead provides a summary of the content. He states that in the beginning was symmetry. Callisto asks for an explanation as to why t=1 was used and Daniel provides no answer.
Callisto
Hi

" A function f is called homogeneous of degree n if it satisfies the equation

f(tx,ty,tz)=t^n*f(x,y,z) for all t, where n is a positive integer and f has continuous second order partial derivatives".

I don't have equation editor so let curly d=D

I need help to show that

x(Df/Dx)+y(Df/Dy)+z(Df/Dz) = nf(x,y,z)

The hint that is given is to use the chain rule to differentiate f(tx,ty,tz) with respect to t.

I am at a total loss, can somebody offer help as to how i show this.
Thanks

Callisto

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't u know how to use chain rule for partial derivatives...?

Compute

[tex] \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} [/tex]

,where

[tex] f=f(r,r^{2}) [/tex],where r=r(x,y,z).

Daniel.

Sorry DEXTECIOBY

your reply is of no use to me

"In the beginning was the symmetry" ?

Werner Heisenberg.
Why quote what you can't prove?

Callisto

That's my signature :smile: I asked you a very good question...Do you have any idea what it means to use the chain rule for partial derivatives...?

Daniel.

The short answer is no

Chain rule for partial derivatives is knew for me, hence my seeking help for this problem. Your reply was vague and of no assitance. Thanks anyway.

In the beginning was symmetry?

Callisto

That's what Werner Heisenberg thought.Advice:learn the theory before trying to solve problems...

Daniel.

You'll have to let A=f(tx,ty,tz)=t^kf(x,y,z)
Then find dA/dt= df/d(tx)*dx/dt+df/d(ty)*dy/dt+df/d(tz)*dz/dt
=df/d(tx)*x+df/d(ty)*y+df/d(tz)*z
For the right hand side, we'll get, k*t^(k-1)f(x,y,z)

Then put t=1, and we'll get the equation xdf/dx+ydf/dx+zdf/dz=Kf(x,y,z)

Though I'm not so sure what the rational behind using the substitution t=1 is in solving this question =/ I guess its only for simplicity since the equation works for all t and t=1 is a good way to simplify both sides of the equation ^^;;

Related to How do I prove the homogeneity of a function of degree n?

What is homogeneous of degree n?

Homogeneous of degree n is a mathematical concept that describes a function in which the degree of all variables is equal to n. This means that if all variables in the function are multiplied by a constant, the resulting function will have the same value as the original function multiplied by the same constant.

How do you determine if a function is homogeneous of degree n?

To determine if a function is homogeneous of degree n, you can use the Euler's homogeneous function theorem. This theorem states that if a function f(x1,x2,...,xn) is homogeneous of degree n, then it must satisfy the following condition: f(tx1,tx2,...,txn) = t^n * f(x1,x2,...,xn), where t is a constant.

What are some examples of homogeneous functions of degree n?

Some examples of homogeneous functions of degree n include: x^2 + y^2, 3x^3 + 4y^3 + 5z^3, and 2x^2y + 3xy^2. These functions all have the same degree for each variable, which is 2 in the first two examples and 3 in the third example.

What are the practical applications of homogeneous functions of degree n?

Homogeneous functions of degree n have many practical applications in physics, economics, and engineering. They are used to model relationships between variables that have a proportional relationship, such as the ideal gas law in physics and the production function in economics.

How is homogeneous of degree n related to scaling?

Homogeneous of degree n is closely related to scaling because it describes a function in which all variables scale together. This means that if all variables are multiplied by a constant, the resulting function will have the same value as the original function multiplied by the same constant. This property is useful in various fields, such as optimization and data analysis.