How do i find the the distances above ground?

• Thread starter lane99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ground
In summary, there is a hot air balloon ascending at a constant speed of 7 m/s and a pellet being fired straight up from ground level at 30 m/s. Both the balloon and the pellet have two points where they have the same altitude at the same time. The question is asking for the distance above ground level for these points. The equations that may be relevant for solving this problem include those related to projectile motion and kinematics.
lane99

Homework Statement

A hot air balloon is ascending straight up at a constant speed of 7 m/s. When the balloon is 12 m above the ground, a gun fires a pellet straight up from ground level with an initial speed of 30 m/s. Along the paths of the balloon and the pellet there are two places where each of them has the same altitude at the same time. How far above ground level are these places?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

dont really know how to solve this and have a test tomorrow so any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi lane99, Welcome to Physics Forums.

What have you tried so far? You need to show some effort before others can help you, that's in the forum rules. At the very least you can write down a list of equations that you think might be relevant for this kind of problem.

Related to How do i find the the distances above ground?

1. How do I measure distances above ground?

The most common way to measure distances above ground is by using a measuring tool, such as a ruler or a measuring tape, and physically measuring the vertical distance from the ground to the desired point. Another method is using a laser rangefinder or a surveying tool, which can provide more accurate measurements by using lasers or GPS technology.

2. Can I use satellite imagery to find distances above ground?

Yes, satellite imagery can be used to find distances above ground. Many online mapping services, such as Google Maps, offer a measurement tool that allows users to click on two points on the map and see the distance between them. However, the accuracy may vary depending on the resolution of the satellite imagery.

3. Is there a formula to calculate distances above ground?

Yes, there are various formulas that can be used to calculate distances above ground, such as the Pythagorean theorem, which can be used when the distance is a straight line between two points. Another common formula is the trigonometric formula, which can be used when the distance is along an inclined surface.

4. How do I find the elevation of a specific point above ground?

The elevation of a specific point above ground can be found by using a topographic map or a digital elevation model (DEM). These maps show the elevation of different points above sea level, which can then be used to calculate the distance above ground for a specific point.

5. Can I use a drone to measure distances above ground?

Yes, drones can be used to measure distances above ground. By using a drone with a camera and GPS technology, the images and coordinates can be used to create a 3D model of the area, which can then be used to measure distances above ground with a high level of accuracy.