How can the wind speed and plane speed be calculated based on given information?

In summary, the person is seeking help with a physics problem involving an aircraft flying through a wind and needs to calculate the wind speed and the speed of the plane relative to the ground. They are advised to draw a diagram and use trigonometry to solve the problem.
P11maf
First time posting hi guys and thanks for the help before i even start :)

here goes, i am on question 4 and I am not the best with this but to be far i am not 100% sure on the question here goes

An aircraft flies throught still air at a velocity of 100ms-1 due East. However due to a wind blowing from the North it is found to be heading 15*(thats ment to be a little o but i can't remember how to do it on the computer) South of East. Calculate the wind speed and the speed of the plane relative to the ground. (27 ms-1, 104 ms-1)

i understand that that's the answer but how do i get it, I've no clue and to be far these questions have been doing my head in all day i can't understand it and I've to have it handed in by tomorrow i know i'll love all the help i can get thanks :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Try drawing a diagram to start with. You have the plane's speed due east, and are told the angle south of due east that it actually heads on. You need to work out the speed of the wind (which is blowing due south) and the speed that the plane appears to be flying at (i.e the hypotenuese of the triangle).

[Hint: Use trigonometry]

Last edited:
yeah but that's my problem i don't know how to do that, I've a few other drawings here but they really don't show me how to make my own that's why I am searching for help :|

Ok, well pick an origin.
1. "An aircraft flies due east" tells us that we must draw a line due east from the origin.
2. "It is found to be heading 15 degrees south of east" tells us that we must draw another line from the origin, at an angle 15 degrees south from east.
3. "The wind is blowing due south" tells us that we can join the right end of the horizontal line to the right end of the line at an angle of 15 degrees with a vertical line.

Now, write onto the diagram what you know. You should now be able to solve it.

Related to How can the wind speed and plane speed be calculated based on given information?

1. What is the difference between statics and dynamics?

Statics is the study of objects and systems at rest or in equilibrium, while dynamics is the study of objects and systems in motion. In statics, the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net movement. In dynamics, there is a net force acting on an object, causing it to accelerate.

2. How do you calculate the resultant of multiple vectors?

The resultant of multiple vectors can be calculated using vector addition. Simply add the x-components of all the vectors together, then add the y-components together. The resultant vector is the sum of these two components, and its magnitude and direction can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometry.

3. What is a moment in statics?

In statics, a moment is a measure of the rotational effect of a force about a certain point or axis. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the point or axis to the line of action of the force. Moments are important in understanding the stability of objects and structures.

4. How do you find the center of mass of an object?

The center of mass of an object is the point at which the object's mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It can be found by dividing the total mass of the object by the sum of the masses at each individual point. The center of mass can also be calculated by finding the weighted average of the individual points, with the weight being the mass at each point.

5. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a physical quantity that has only magnitude, such as mass or temperature. A vector, on the other hand, is a physical quantity that has both magnitude and direction, such as force or velocity. Scalars can be added and subtracted using simple arithmetic, while vectors require vector addition and subtraction to account for direction.