How Can I Calculate dy/dx for x^2 - xy - y^2 = 3?

In summary, implicit differentiation is a way of differentiating a function of y with respect to x without explicitly using the derivative of y with respect to x.
derivativeated
x^2 - xy - y^2 = 3
how do i work out dy/dx?

Physics news on Phys.org
either make y a function of x, which is trival but dull or just differentiate everything wrt x and use the chain rule and product rule.

example, one you can do anyway, suppose xy=1

then assuming this implicitly defines a function y in terms of x (notice that word implicit, look in your notes for a reference to it)

then [tex]\frac{d}{dx}xy = \frac{d}{dx}1[/tex] that is to say [tex] (\frac{d}{dx}x)y + x(\frac{d}{dx}y) = 0[/tex]. of course dx/dx=1 so, [tex]y+ x\frac{dy}{dx}=0[/tex] and we see that [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = -y/x[/tex] recall that y= 1/x, and we see [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = -1/x^2[/tex] try and apply this idea to you example

Last edited:
Implicit Differentiation...

differentiate:
x^2 - xy - y^2 = 3

Implicit Differentiation:
(d/dx)[x^2 - xy - y^2] = (d/dx)[3]

(d/dx)[x^2] - (d/dx)[xy] - (d/dx)[y^2] = (d/dx)[3]

Last edited:
I'm a little confused with the answers above. When differentiating some function of y with respect to x, is it not simply the derivate of the function with respect to y multiplies by the derivative of y with respect to x?

Such that:

[tex]x^2 - xy - y^2 = 3[/tex]

[tex]2x - \left( y + x \frac{dy}{dx} \right) - 2y \frac{dy}{dx} = 0 [/tex]

[tex]2x - y - x \frac{dy}{dx} - 2y \frac{dy}{dx} = 0 [/tex]

[tex]x \frac{dy}{dx} + 2y \frac{dy}{dx} + y - 2x = 0 [/tex]

[tex](x + 2y) \frac{dy}{dx} = 2x - y[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{2x - y}{x + 2y}[/tex]

Please say if this is wrong somehow, I need the practise.

that seems to be a correct assertion. this is called implicit differentiation.

Originally posted by Zurtex
I'm a little confused with the answers above. When differentiating some function of y with respect to x, is it not simply the derivate of the function with respect to y multiplies by the derivative of y with respect to x?

Such that:

[tex]x^2 - xy - y^2 = 3[/tex]

[tex]2x - \left( y + x \frac{dy}{dx} \right) - 2y \frac{dy}{dx} = 0 [/tex]

[tex]2x - y - x \frac{dy}{dx} - 2y \frac{dy}{dx} = 0 [/tex]

[tex]x \frac{dy}{dx} + 2y \frac{dy}{dx} + y - 2x = 0 [/tex]

[tex](x + 2y) \frac{dy}{dx} = 2x - y[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{2x - y}{x + 2y}[/tex]

Please say if this is wrong somehow, I need the practise.

Yes, that was, in fact, exactly what matt grime orginally said!:smile:

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
Yes, that was, in fact, exactly what matt grime orginally said!:smile:
I didn't really understand the method though and got a bit confused so I wanted to check I knew how to do it, I was unsure why the example of if xy = 1 was given.

Probably just the way I look at maths at the level I do it, I presume it would differ when I go to university.

I gave that example for two reasons: it was easy to rearrange and solve without implicit differentiation, so that you could see that you got the answer you thought you ought to get, and because I didn't want to just solve your homework problem for you, but to prompt you into trying it again for yourself, changind the details as necessary.

Related to How Can I Calculate dy/dx for x^2 - xy - y^2 = 3?

How do I differentiate this?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function. To differentiate a function, you need to follow a set of rules based on the type of function you are dealing with.

What are the different types of functions that can be differentiated?

The three main types of functions that can be differentiated are polynomial functions, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions. Each type requires a different set of rules to differentiate.

Can all functions be differentiated?

No, not all functions can be differentiated. Some functions, such as step functions or absolute value functions, are not continuous and therefore cannot be differentiated.

What is the purpose of differentiating a function?

The purpose of differentiating a function is to find the instantaneous rate of change of the function at a specific point. This can be useful in many applications, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, or determining the velocity of an object at a given time.

What are some common mistakes made when differentiating a function?

One common mistake is to forget to use the chain rule when differentiating composite functions. Another mistake is to forget to apply the product rule when differentiating a product of two functions. It is important to carefully follow the rules and double check your work when differentiating a function.