How Are Resultant Vectors Calculated in Croquet Ball Displacements?

The correct components are x = 10cos45 and y = 10sin45, which gives a vector of <7.07, 7.07>. When added to vectors A and B, the resultant vector is <24.75, 41.82>. The magnitude can be found using Pythagorean's theorem as (24.75^2 + 41.82^2)^1/2 = 49.1 and the direction can be found using inverse tangent as 59.8 degrees.
scottypippen
Three displacement vectors of a croquet ball are shown in the figure, where || = 10.0 units, || = 35.0 units, and || = 10.0 units.
p1-053.gif

(a) Find the resultant in unit-vector notation.

(b) Find the magnitude and direction of the resultant displacement.

For part a, I broke each down vector into its compnents:

Va: <0,10>

Vb: x = r Cos o y = r Sin o
x = (35) cos 45 y = (35) sin 45
Vb = <24.75, 24.75>

Vc: x = 10 Cos 45 y = 10 Sin 45
= <-7.07,-7.07>

Using the head to tail method, I simply added all the Vectors and got the Resultant vector as:
17,7i + 27.7j

For part b I used pythagorean's to find the magnitude which came out to:
(17.7^2 + 27.7^2)^1/2 = 32.8

Then I used inverse of Tan (27.7/17.7) which came to:
57.4 degrees

I'm almost certain this is correct but webassign keeps saying its wrong! Any help or input is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the components of vector C you have two minus signs, there should only be one.

Related to How Are Resultant Vectors Calculated in Croquet Ball Displacements?

1. What is displacement?

Displacement is a vector quantity that measures the change in position or location of an object. It is a straight line distance between the initial and final positions of an object, and it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is displacement different from distance?

Distance is a scalar quantity that only measures the total length of the path traveled by an object, without considering its direction. Displacement, on the other hand, takes into account the direction of the movement and is represented as a vector.

3. What is the relationship between displacement and velocity?

Displacement is related to velocity, which is a vector quantity that measures the rate of change in displacement over time. Velocity is the derivative of displacement with respect to time, and it tells us the speed and direction of an object's motion.

4. How is displacement calculated?

Displacement can be calculated by subtracting the initial position vector from the final position vector. This results in a vector that represents the change in position or displacement of the object. Displacement can also be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem if the object's movement is in a straight line.

5. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative. This occurs when an object moves in the opposite direction of its initial position. For example, if an object starts at position 5 and moves to position 3, its displacement would be -2 since it moved 2 units to the left from its initial position.