Help with Shapiro-Wilk Test interpretation.

In summary, the Shapiro Wilk test says that the two sets of data come from different populations, and that the probability that one set is not normal is 50.2%.
FrostScYthe
Hi everyone,

I need to make sure that I'm interpreting the Shapiro WIlk test correctly. This is how I'm doing the interpretations:

Set 1
CI = 95%
n = 15
Shapiro W = .92
p = .171

I think this set is distributed normally because p is the probability that it is not normal, so the probability that it isn't normal is 17.1% right?

Set 2
CI = 95%
n = 15
Shapiro W = .95
p = .502

This set is slightly more probable to be not distributed normally because p is 50.2 %

Any help appreciated,

Ed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since CI = 95% implies a critical "alpha" value of 5%, the null hypothesis of normality cannot be rejected for either set (at the 5% level of statistical significance).

But I can reject Set 1, if I chose an alpha like 20% right?

Correct.

Looking at this test more carefully. This test is more for testing whether a sample comes from a population that is not normally distributed.

I mean if the p > alpha then you can't reject the probability that it might be Normal (but it is just a probability, it doesn't tell you how probable is it that it is normal?). What is a good test to determine whether a distribution is Normal or not?

If p > alpha then you can't reject the NULL HYPOTHESIS that THE DISTRIBUTION IS Normal.

When testing a hypothesis you cannot ever accept the null hypothesis, you can either reject, or fail to reject. There is no statistical test that will tell you the distribution is normal; they can only tell whether you can or cannot reject normality. See http://www.keithbower.com/Miscellaneous/Don't 'Accept' H0.htm.

I suggest using tests based on skewness and/or kurtosis; two examples are the Jarque–Bera test and D'Agostino's K-squared test. If you don't need a formal test result, you can also make a Q-Q plot and decide visually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank EnumaElish for clarifying that for me :).

Related to Help with Shapiro-Wilk Test interpretation.

1. What is the Shapiro-Wilk test?

The Shapiro-Wilk test is a statistical test used to determine whether a dataset follows a normal distribution. It is often used in research and data analysis to assess the normality of a sample before carrying out further statistical analyses.

2. How does the Shapiro-Wilk test work?

The Shapiro-Wilk test calculates a test statistic (W) based on the correlation between the data and the expected values of a normal distribution. The p-value associated with the test statistic is then compared to a significance level (typically 0.05) to determine whether the data can be considered normally distributed.

3. What does a significant Shapiro-Wilk test mean?

A significant Shapiro-Wilk test means that the p-value is less than the chosen significance level, indicating that the data does not follow a normal distribution. This can be interpreted as evidence that the data may not be suitable for certain statistical analyses that assume normality.

4. How do I interpret the results of a Shapiro-Wilk test?

If the p-value is greater than the significance level, it can be concluded that there is not enough evidence to reject the null hypothesis that the data is normally distributed. However, if the p-value is less than the significance level, the null hypothesis is rejected and it can be concluded that the data is not normally distributed.

5. How can I report the results of a Shapiro-Wilk test?

The results of a Shapiro-Wilk test can be reported by stating the test statistic (W), the degrees of freedom, and the p-value. For example, "The Shapiro-Wilk test yielded a W statistic of 0.95, with 50 degrees of freedom and a p-value of 0.02, indicating that the data was not normally distributed."