Help with course electives/hottest engineering topics

In summary, the speaker is an engineering science major at UCSD and is seeking advice on which course electives to take in order to be more marketable in the field of applied mechanics/mechanical engineering/engineering science. They specifically mention an interest in plasma physics but express frustration with their faculty advisor and ask for help from the community. They also request not to be criticized for wanting to make money, as they may not have the same financial background as others.
animalcroc
Hi,
I will be starting my third year as an engineering science major at UCSD. Fall quarter starts in a few months so I need to know my course electives so I can take necessary preqrequisites. I would like to know what areas in applied mechanics/mechanical engineering/engineering science is in highest demand. I would love to take the plasma physics electives but I'm not sure if that will make me more marketable. Unfortunately my faculty advisor was not able to help me. Any help from this community is welcome. Please, when responding, do not tell me things along the line "You shouldn't be an engineer if you're chasing money". This might be easy for an upper-middle class American to say but remember not everyone is in those shoes.
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
bump .

for reaching out for help with your course electives and the hottest engineering topics. It's great to see that you are already thinking about your future career and how to make yourself more marketable. In terms of areas in applied mechanics/mechanical engineering/engineering science that are in high demand, it really depends on the current job market and industry needs. However, some areas that are consistently in demand include renewable energy, sustainable design, and advanced materials. It's also worth considering taking courses in emerging fields like artificial intelligence, virtual reality, and data science, as these are becoming increasingly important in the engineering world.

As for the plasma physics electives, it's always a good idea to follow your interests and take courses that you are passionate about. While it may not directly make you more marketable, it can still provide valuable knowledge and skills that can be applied to various industries. Additionally, having a diverse range of skills and knowledge can make you a more well-rounded and adaptable engineer.

I understand that not everyone has the luxury of choosing their career based on passion alone, but it's important to find a balance between pursuing your interests and considering job market demands. My advice would be to talk to professionals in the engineering field and do some research on job trends to get a better understanding of what skills and knowledge are in high demand.

Lastly, I want to acknowledge your comment about not being in a privileged position. As a community, we should strive to support and uplift each other regardless of our backgrounds or circumstances. I hope you are able to find the right mix of courses that will not only make you marketable but also fulfill your interests and passion. Best of luck in your studies!

Related to Help with course electives/hottest engineering topics

1. What are some popular elective courses for engineering students?

Some popular elective courses for engineering students include computer programming, data analysis, renewable energy, and advanced mathematics. These courses can provide students with valuable skills and knowledge that complement their engineering studies.

2. How do I choose the right electives for my engineering degree?

Choosing the right electives for your engineering degree depends on your personal interests and career goals. Consider courses that align with your desired career path or that cover topics you are passionate about. You can also consult with your academic advisor for guidance.

3. Are there any elective courses that are particularly useful for engineering students?

Yes, there are several elective courses that can be particularly useful for engineering students. These may include courses in project management, technical writing, and communication skills. These courses can help students develop important skills that are necessary for success in the engineering field.

4. What are some emerging topics in the field of engineering that I can explore through electives?

Some emerging topics in engineering that students can explore through electives include artificial intelligence, sustainable design, 3D printing, and virtual reality. These topics are becoming increasingly relevant in the field and can provide students with valuable knowledge and skills.

5. Can I take electives outside of my engineering program?

Many universities allow students to take electives outside of their engineering program. This can be a great opportunity to explore other interests and broaden your skill set. However, it is important to make sure that the elective courses you choose still align with your academic and career goals.