Help to design/build a table top electric powered winder?

In summary, this person is looking to build a table top electric powered winding system. They are unsure of what requirements they have, but they believe that higher winding tension will reduce springback. They also mention that their sewing machine has a built in thread winder. If we are to be held to interpreting the names of posters, both the OPs and others, the prospects are truly frightening!
yarnspinner
Hi everyone, is this a good place to ask for details of designing and building a table top electric powered winding system?

If not thanks for letting me know.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Give us your requirements, and we'll see.

Welcome to the PF.

Sounds like a fun project! Are you sure you want to make it powered? What types of coils do you plan on building? How many and how often? One of our engineers had a hand-powered coil winder that he used to bring in when we were winding our own prototypes of communication transformers. Pretty neat little tool. :smile:

Something like this: https://ssli.ebayimg.com/images/g/EFwAAOxyrrpTjpl7/s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 336
It all depends on your requirements. The photo below shows the parts for a setup to wind a replacement spring for a trash pump mechanical seal from 0.125" 302SS spring wire. This particular spring is a reject. That spring was wound on that mandrel. And yes, there really is that much springback.
P3190005.JPG

Attachments

• P3190005.JPG
    P3190005.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 340
jrmichler said:
And yes, there really is that much springback.

I'm really not an expert on spring winding, but I believe that the spring back could be reduced by higher winding tension. This will cause more extensive plastic deformation in the spring material and thus more permanent deformation.

Higher winding tension does reduce springback. Unfortunately, the 302SS spring wire is cold drawn to a yield strength of about 250,000 PSI. The required winding tension would be high enough to yield almost the entire cross section of the spring wire. That tension would be about 3,000 lbs, which is way beyond the capacity of my lathe.

jrmichler said:
Higher winding tension does reduce springback. Unfortunately, the 302SS spring wire is cold drawn to a yield strength of about 250,000 PSI. The required winding tension would be high enough to yield almost the entire cross section of the spring wire. That tension would be about 3,000 lbs, which is way beyond the capacity of my lathe.

I guess we are not permitted to have our cake and eat it as well!

Apparently everyone has overlooked the obvious. The OP's username implies they are not winding wire.
Edit: ALMOST everyone.

Likes OmCheeto and berkeman
Averagesupernova said:
Apparently everyone has overlooked the obvious. The OP's username implies they are not winding wire.
Doh! o0)

Averagesupernova said:
I was going to mention that my sewing machine has a built in thread winder, but that looks a bit to small from this implication.
Perhaps a DIY Kite string winder would work.
Being portable, you could:
1. watch TV while winding yarn.
2. make sure the soup doesn't boil over while winding yarn.
3. wind yarn while "doing your business", if you know what I mean.
4. etc, etc, etc.​

If we are to be held to interpreting the names of posters, both the OPs and others, the prospects are truly frightening!

Related to Help to design/build a table top electric powered winder?

1. How do I determine the appropriate size and dimensions for the table top electric powered winder?

The size and dimensions of the table top electric powered winder will depend on the specific needs and preferences of the user. Factors to consider include the size and weight of the objects being wound, available space for the winder, and any specific functions or features required. It is best to consult with a professional or do thorough research to determine the appropriate size and dimensions for your specific needs.

2. What materials should I use for the construction of the table top electric powered winder?

The materials used for the construction of the table top electric powered winder should be durable and able to withstand the weight and movement of the objects being wound. Common materials used include wood, metal, and plastic. It is important to choose materials that are strong enough to support the weight of the objects being wound and to withstand frequent use.

3. How do I select the appropriate motor for the table top electric powered winder?

The motor for the table top electric powered winder should be selected based on the size and weight of the objects being wound, as well as the desired speed and torque. It is important to choose a motor that is powerful enough to handle the workload and can operate at the desired speed. Consulting with a professional or doing research on motor specifications can help in selecting the appropriate one for your specific needs.

4. What safety precautions should I consider when designing/building a table top electric powered winder?

Safety should always be a top priority when designing and building any type of machinery. Some important safety precautions to consider for a table top electric powered winder include proper grounding and insulation of electrical components, implementing emergency shutoff switches, and ensuring all moving parts are properly guarded to prevent accidents or injuries.

5. Can I customize the design of the table top electric powered winder?

Yes, the design of the table top electric powered winder can be customized to meet your specific needs and preferences. This can include adding or removing certain features, choosing different materials or colors, and adjusting the size and dimensions. However, it is important to ensure that any customizations do not compromise the functionality or safety of the winder.