Gre Problem # 60 speed of a particle

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving the Lyman alpha spectral line of hydrogen and the speed of particles on the equator due to the Sun's rotation. The poster used the doppler formula to calculate the speed and got an answer of 4.4 km/s, but the correct answer is 2.2 km/s. This is because the particles are moving in opposite directions on opposite sides of the Sun.
quantumworld
Hello brainy people,
I did solve this problem, but my answer is double the correct one, I wonder what went wrong.
here it is:
The Lyman alpha spectral line of hydrogen (lambda = 122 nm) differs by 1.8*10^-12 m in spectra taken at opposite ends of the sun's equator. What is the speed of a particle on the equator due to the Sun's rotation, in kilometers per second?

I used the doppler formula, delta lambda/lambda = v/c
so I got c = 4.4 Km/s, but the correct answer is 2.2 km/s

thanks for your effort

Physics news on Phys.org
One one limb of the Sun, the particles are approaching you. On the other, they are receding from you. The difference from one side to the other is 4.4 km/s, but the particles are only moving 2.2 km/s; they're just moving in opposite directions on opposite limbs of the Sun.

- Warren

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your solution to this GRE problem. It seems like you have correctly used the Doppler formula to solve for the speed of the particle on the equator due to the Sun's rotation. However, there is one small error in your calculation. When using the Doppler formula, it is important to use the correct units for the speed of light, which is meters per second (m/s), not kilometers per second (km/s). Therefore, the correct calculation would be:

c = (1.8*10^-12 m) * (3.0*10^8 m/s) / (122 nm)
= 4.4*10^-5 m/s

Converting this to kilometers per second, we get:

c = 4.4*10^-5 m/s * (1 km/1000 m) * (3600 s/1 hr)
= 1.584 km/hr

This is the correct answer of 2.2 km/s that you were given. I hope this helps clarify the issue and good luck with your GRE preparation!

Related to Gre Problem # 60 speed of a particle

1. What is the definition of speed?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving. It is the rate of change of distance with respect to time.

2. How is the speed of a particle calculated?

The speed of a particle can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken to travel that distance. The units of speed are typically in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

3. How is speed related to velocity?

Speed and velocity are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings. Speed is a scalar quantity that only considers the magnitude of an object's motion, while velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion.

4. What factors can affect the speed of a particle?

The speed of a particle can be affected by factors such as the force acting on the particle, the mass of the particle, and any external forces or obstacles that may impede its motion.

5. How can the speed of a particle be graphically represented?

The speed of a particle can be graphically represented on a distance-time graph or a speed-time graph. On a distance-time graph, the speed is represented by the slope of the line, while on a speed-time graph, the speed is represented by the height of the line at a given time.