Gaining a Deeper Understanding of Physics Problems

In summary, the speaker is struggling with conceptual understanding in physics and is looking for additional resources to supplement their teacher and textbook. They often encounter small mental hurdles that prevent them from solving problems and feel uncomfortable even when they get the right answer. They provide an example of struggling with finding an increase in gravitational potential energy by calculating the work from a spring and not fully understanding how it relates. The other person suggests paying more attention to units and reminds the speaker of the principle of energy conservation. They also provide an example of the energy transfer from a compressed spring to a block.
MurdocJensen
The professor and my text aren't exactly doing it for me when it comes to my conceptual understanding of physics. I find myself getting frustrated when it comes to certain problems, mainly because the only thing standing in the way of me getting the right answer is how I set up the problem.

This is not to say I don't get anything from m teacher or text, but I just need another point of view when it comes to considering physics problems.

Go sharks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Without a specific example it is tough for us to know what exactly your issue is.

Wow. Blanked pretty hard there.

Ex: When solving potential and kinetic energy problems its always hard for me to know when to use a certain potential or kinetic energy relation. An example would be when I needed to find an increase in gravitational potential energy, and ended up finding it from the work from a spring.

More generally, there seem to be a lot of these small conceptual roadblocks that stop me from getting where I need to go.

It's a pretty sparse description, but what I need are suggestions for texts or online materials that could help me form a more concrete conceptual understanding of physics.

MurdocJensen said:
An example would be when I needed to find an increase in gravitational potential energy, and ended up finding it from the work from a spring.
You might want to start by paying more attention to units. You should never make this kind of mistake because the units don't match up. It is an easy check that should be an automatic part of solving every problem.

I understand what you're saying, and I check my answers like that often. My issue was with the fact that I found an increase in gravitational potential by finding the work from a spring. Both answers have the same units, but I don't quite 'get' how an increase in gravitational potential was found by calculating the work from the spring in that case.

What I'm really trying to say is that I run into these little mental hurdles that prevent me from going forward with solving a problem. These conceptual pitfalls make the process really uncomfortable and, even when I get the right answer, I don't feel like I've learned a lot.

Dunno. Maybe I'm making no sense.

The key thing to remember in problems like this is that energy must be conserved. All the energy you start with has to go somewhere.

Consider a spring that is compressed and locked with a block on top of it. Because the spring is compressed, it has energy stored in it. When you release the spring, it expands and raises the block. The energy that was originally stored in the spring has now been transferred to the block as potential energy, because by lifting the block, you have done work against gravity.

I'm not really sure if this is what you're looking for, but I hope this helps.

MurdocJensen said:
Both answers have the same units
No, they don't. The formula for a spring is E = 1/2 k x² where E is in units of J=kg m²/s², k is in units of N/m=kg/s², and x is in units of m. If you attempt to plug in g for k then you should immediately notice that g is in units of m/s² which is different from kg/s².

Related to Gaining a Deeper Understanding of Physics Problems

1. What is the best approach to gain a deeper understanding of physics problems?

The best approach to gaining a deeper understanding of physics problems is to start by thoroughly understanding the basic concepts and principles. This includes familiarizing yourself with mathematical equations and formulas, as well as understanding the fundamental laws of physics. Once you have a strong foundation, you can then apply these concepts to more complex problems and practice regularly to improve your problem-solving skills.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving abilities in physics?

Improving your problem-solving abilities in physics requires regular practice and application of the concepts you have learned. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and to use visual aids or diagrams to better understand the problem. Additionally, seeking help from peers or a tutor can also aid in improving problem-solving skills.

3. Is it important to understand the real-world applications of physics problems?

Understanding the real-world applications of physics problems can greatly enhance your understanding of the subject. It allows you to see how the concepts and principles you have learned are applied in real-life situations, making it easier to grasp and remember the material. It also helps to bridge the gap between theoretical knowledge and practical applications.

4. How can I use critical thinking to solve physics problems?

Critical thinking is essential in solving physics problems as it involves analyzing the problem, identifying relevant information, and using logical reasoning to come up with a solution. To improve critical thinking skills, it is important to practice regularly, ask questions, and think outside the box when approaching a problem. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and use different problem-solving strategies.

5. How can I stay motivated when facing challenging physics problems?

Staying motivated when facing challenging physics problems can be difficult, but it is important to remember that these problems are opportunities to improve your understanding and problem-solving skills. It can be helpful to break the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and to set achievable goals for yourself. Seeking help from peers or a tutor can also provide motivation and support in solving difficult problems.