From a light fixture to an inlit.

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation discusses how to use appliances with plugs in a room with only light fixtures, specifically on a camping trip. Suggestions include hacking into a light bulb, using a car adapter, purchasing adapters that screw into light sockets, and using emergency chargers or hand cranked chargers. It is advised not to try hacking a light bulb as it can be dangerous. It is also mentioned that the tent might only have lighting sockets to limit power usage and for safety reasons.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
I'm in a room that doesn't have any inlits (what you put a plug in), only light fixtures. What should I do if I want to use an appliance with a plug (this is on a camping trip and I want to charge my phone). Would it work if I broke a lightbulb, cut out the filimant, and sodered the ends (inside the bulb) to the back of an inlit. Would that be dangerous or something? Is there an easier way?
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Whatever you are suggesting about hacking into a light bulb would most certainly be dangerous, so please don't do that.

Could you clarify what you want to do? You are going camping in a cabin that has no electrical power or outlets, and you want to be able to charge your cell phone? Can you just use your car adapter to charge it as needed?

As long as you don't cut yourself on the glass, electrocute yourself or start a fire it shoudl be fine!
You used to be able to buy power cables that fitted in light sockets but they don't seem to be available anymore - try a junk store?

There are adapters that screw into a typical bulb socket that provide a 110V outlet.

http://images.acmehardware.com/200x200/5732532.jpg

mgb_phys said:
As long as you don't cut yourself on the glass, electrocute yourself or start a fire it shoudl be fine!
You used to be able to buy power cables that fitted in light sockets but they don't seem to be available anymore - try a junk store?

Oh, now I get what they are asking. Thanks mgb_phys. Yeah, you can buy screw-in 2-prong polarized adapters that let you plug a 2-prong male plug into them. Pretty sure the hardware stores around here carry them still, although I haven't purchased one for several years now.

Like this one: http://www.netobjectivesrepository.com/space/showimage/AdapterPlug.jpg

EDIT -- Dagnabbit! Edged out again by fly-boy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replys, I guess I won't try that idea. The situation is that the tent (it's this big tent that a few people can sleep in) is connected to electricity but for some reason there're no inlits, only light fixtures. I don't have a car and even if I did I'd like to know if there's any solution to the problem itself (plugging something into a light fixture).
Thanks.
EDIT: Wow, as soon as I finish posting my reply there're two new posts. Thanks for those links.

Berkeman said:
EDIT -- Dagnabbit! Edged out again by fly-boy!

Too funny. And we posted the same picture too!

"Missed it by 'that' much."

daniel_i_l said:
Thanks for the replys, I guess I won't try that idea. The situation is that the tent (it's this big tent that a few people can sleep in) is connected to electricity but for some reason there're no inlits, only light fixtures. I don't have a car and even if I did I'd like to know if there's any solution to the problem itself (plugging something into a light fixture).
Thanks.

It probably only has lighting sockets to limit the amount of power you are using, both from a cost point of view and as a safety measure, otherwise people would bring toaster ovens, heaters, big TVs etc. Tents burn rather well.

You can buy small emergency charges that use a single AA or 9v battery and plug into your phone to charge it, they typically use an entire battery for one charge so aren't economical but are easy to carry. There are also hand cranked chargers.

ps. Is an inlit what I would call an outlet?

Related to From a light fixture to an inlit.

1. What is a light fixture?

A light fixture is a device that is used to hold and connect a light bulb or other light source in place. It typically includes a housing, electrical connections, and a method of mounting.

2. What is an inlit?

An inlit is a type of light fixture that is recessed into a surface, such as a ceiling or wall. It is designed to provide lighting without being visible or obtrusive.

3. How does a light fixture work?

A light fixture works by using electricity to power a light source, such as a bulb or LED. The electricity flows through the fixture's wiring and is controlled by a switch, allowing the light to be turned on or off.

4. What are the different types of light fixtures?

There are many different types of light fixtures, including chandeliers, pendants, sconces, track lights, and recessed lights. Each type has its own unique design and function, making it suitable for different spaces and purposes.

5. How do I choose the right light fixture for my space?

When choosing a light fixture, consider the size and function of the space, as well as the overall style and design aesthetic. It's also important to consider the amount of light needed and the type of light source that will be most effective for the space.