Food Irradiation Shielding Calculation for MPD

• Thread starter The Prince
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary, the conversation revolves around a presentation on "food irradiation" and the responsibility of calculating shielding for the gamma source. The speaker needs to know the average total activity and dimension of the gamma source array for a Co-60 facility. They mention different types of irradiation machines and the varying activities of a Co-60 machine. They also suggest a book, "Introduction to Nuclear Engineering" by John Lamarsh, as a resource for information on the topic. However, the speaker mentions that this book does not cover food irradiation.
The Prince
Hey ,

My classmates and I were asked to give a presntatoin about "food irradiation" and I'm the one who 's responsible about shielding calculations. I want to show that 6 m (19.69 ft) of water is enough to shield gamma source so that the exposure dose for workers doesn't exceed the maximum permissible dose(MPD) . For solving this I need to know :

1-The average total activity of gamma source array in curie.
2- The diminsion of the of gamma source array.

Hopefully someone can help me to get these parameters.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on the type of irradiation machine. Some use Co-60, some use Cs-137, and others use electron beams. Not my specialty, but I imagine the activities of a Co-60 machine varies from machine to machine depending on what is being irradiated.

I'd like to know these prameters for Co-60 facility

If you can get your hands on a copy of John Lamarsh's book Introduction to Nuclear Engineering, you'll find all the basic information and formulas you need in a very easy format.

Actually I have this book ,but unfortunately there's nothing about food irradiation in this book

Related to Food Irradiation Shielding Calculation for MPD

1. What is food irradiation and why is it used?

Food irradiation is the process of exposing food to ionizing radiation in order to kill harmful bacteria, parasites, and insects. It is used to increase the safety and shelf life of food products, as well as to prevent foodborne illnesses.

2. How does food irradiation affect the nutritional value of food?

Food irradiation does not significantly affect the nutritional value of food. While some nutrients may be lost in the process, the overall impact on the nutritional value of the food is minimal.

3. What is MPD and why is it important in food irradiation shielding calculation?

MPD stands for Maximum Permissible Dose, which is the maximum amount of radiation that a person can safely be exposed to. In food irradiation, MPD is important because it helps ensure that the food is not overexposed to radiation, which can have harmful effects on consumers.

4. How is food irradiation shielding calculation performed?

Food irradiation shielding calculation involves determining the appropriate amount and type of shielding material needed to protect the food from excessive radiation exposure. This is done by taking into account the type and amount of radiation being used, the distance between the source of radiation and the food, and the food's composition and packaging materials.

5. What are some commonly used materials for food irradiation shielding?

The most commonly used materials for food irradiation shielding include lead, concrete, and steel. Other materials such as aluminum, plastic, and water may also be used depending on the specific needs of the food product and the radiation source being used.