Finding the resultant graphically

• Thread starter kiraahhh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resultant
In summary, the person is asking for help with how to approach their work, but they are lost because they don't know how to measure the length of the side of the resultant vector.
kiraahhh
http://tinypic.com/r/2gsfm37/7"

I would show work, but I am not sure how to even approach this, please help! Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Move the point at which the e vector begins and put it at the end of the arrow of the F vector. Draw a line from the point the F vector begins to the end of the arrow on the E vector. Put a nice little Arrow at the end of the line you just drew by the end of the E vector, and that is your resultant vector. Make sense?

edit: your vectors will kinda look like this: _/, where F is the flat vector and E is the /. Your resultant will be the line that goes from the origin of both vectors in the beginning, and end at the tip of the moved E vector.

Last edited:
no. Excuse the crude use of mspaint.
It'll look like:
problem.jpg

technically you don't need the Left E vector and top F vector. You see how I just moved the E vector over to the F vector? and drew the resultant from beginning to E's tip.

ohh! I remember learning this in trig last year!
but, how do i do this when I don't know how long each side is?

Graphically. Use a ruler and find out how long they are. Graphical method is proportionate.

so if i have 9.5 & 5.5 how do i find the resultant? I completely forgot over this summer

draw it all out, and measure the resultant. the distance you measured is the resultant. ie, if F=80n and it's 8cm long, that's 10n/cm. You draw it all out to scale, measure the resultant. and 10n/cm*R= Resultant force.

kiraahhh said:
what if its more of a square? like this
http://tinypic.com/r/53k6ro/7
do you make it into a square and draw the resultant and measure?
You draw the resultant just as you were shown in Post #4 earlier. And yes, then you would measure the resultant.

Thank you very much hansthegerman and redbelly98, I really do appreciate the help

Related to Finding the resultant graphically

1. What is the process for finding the resultant graphically?

The process for finding the resultant graphically involves drawing the vector components on a graph, using a scale to represent the magnitude and direction of each vector. Then, the resultant vector is drawn by connecting the tail of the first vector to the head of the last vector. The magnitude and direction of the resultant vector can be determined by measuring the length and angle of the resultant vector on the graph.

2. How do you find the resultant of two or more vectors graphically?

To find the resultant of two or more vectors graphically, you must first determine the individual components of each vector. Then, plot these components on a graph and connect them to form the resultant vector. The magnitude and direction of the resultant vector can be determined by measuring the length and angle of the resultant vector on the graph.

3. What is the importance of finding the resultant graphically?

Finding the resultant graphically is important because it allows us to visualize the combination of multiple vectors and determine their overall effect. This is particularly useful in real-world applications such as engineering, physics, and navigation, where multiple forces or velocities may be acting on an object.

4. What are some common techniques for finding the resultant graphically?

Some common techniques for finding the resultant graphically include using a scale to represent the magnitude and direction of each vector, using a protractor to measure the angle of each vector, and using a ruler to measure the length of each vector on the graph. These techniques can also be combined with trigonometric functions to calculate the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector more accurately.

5. Can the resultant of two or more vectors ever be zero?

Yes, the resultant of two or more vectors can be zero if the vectors cancel each other out. This can occur when the vectors are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction, or when the vectors are perpendicular to each other. In both cases, the resultant vector will have a magnitude of zero and there will be no overall effect on the object.