Finding the equation of a tangent line at a given point (tan and e^x questions)

In summary, the author believes that the tangent line to a function at a given point is found by taking the derivative of the function and plugging in the given points and slope into a point slope formula. However, he feels like he is missing a key idea and is not getting the answers he expects. He recommends multiplying the given points to get the standard form of the equation for the tangent line and then subtracting the given points to get the answer.
czzzar
View attachment 1213
I don't need an answer, I'm just stumped as to how to properly turn these into point slope form to find the tangent, can anyone guide me through this? Help would be greatly appreciated.

I believe I understand the formulas that are used to solve problems such as these.
It starts by finding the derivative of the function.
After finding the derivative, I can plug in the given points and slope from the derivative into the point slope formula... but when i did this, my answer was wrong. I feel like I'm missing a key idea (or more) that is stopping me from finding this out

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
czzzar said:
View attachment 1213

I don't need an answer, I'm just stumped as to how to properly turn these into point slope form to find the tangent, can anyone guide me through this? Help would be greatly appreciated.

I believe I understand the formulas that are used to solve problems such as these.
It starts by finding the derivative of the function.
After finding the derivative, I can plug in the given points and slope from the derivative into the point slope formula... but when i did this, my answer was wrong. I feel like I'm missing a key idea (or more) that is stopping me from finding this out

It seems to me that you have the right formula. The tangent line to $f(x)$ at $x=a$ is given by the equation $y=f(a)+f^{\prime}(a)(x-a)$. In the case of the first problem, $f(x)=\tan x$, and you're given the point $(a,f(a)) = \left(\frac{\pi}{4},1\right)$. With that, the equation of the tangent line is of the form
\[y=f\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right) +f^{\prime}\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right) \left(x-\frac{\pi}{4}\right) = 1 + f^{\prime}\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right) \left(x-\frac{\pi}{4}\right).\] I'm sure you can find $f^{\prime}\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right)$ on your own, right?

The same goes for the other question: for $f(x)=(x-1)e^x$ at the point $(1,0)$, the equation of the tangent is of the form
\[y=f(1)+f^{\prime}(1)(x-1)= f^{\prime}(1)(x-1).\]
I would assume here that you can find $f^{\prime}(1)$ as well.

I hope this clarifies things!

Chris L T521 said:
It seems to me that you have the right formula. The tangent line to $f(x)$ at $x=a$ is given by the equation $y=f(a)+f^{\prime}(a)(x-a)$. In the case of the first problem, $f(x)=\tan x$, and you're given the point $(a,f(a)) = \left(\frac{\pi}{4},1\right)$. With that, the equation of the tangent line is of the form
\[y=f\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right) +f^{\prime}\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right) \left(x-\frac{\pi}{4}\right) = 1 + f^{\prime}\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right) \left(x-\frac{\pi}{4}\right).\] I'm sure you can find $f^{\prime}\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right)$ on your own, right?

The same goes for the other question: for $f(x)=(x-1)e^x$ at the point $(1,0)$, the equation of the tangent is of the form
\[y=f(1)+f^{\prime}(1)(x-1)= f^{\prime}(1)(x-1).\]
I would assume here that you can find $f^{\prime}(1)$ as well.

I hope this clarifies things!

$f^{\prime}\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right)$ i believe is 2 because the derivative of $f(x)=\tan x$ is $f(x)=\sec^2x$...
\[y=1 + 2x - 2\frac{\pi}{4}.\] should pi/4 right be able to be multiplied? the answer to this question is 4x - 2y - pi +2 = 0... It seems that I'm deviating away from the answer even more now...

czzzar said:
$f^{\prime}\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right)$ i believe is 2 because the derivative of $f(x)=\tan x$ is $f(x)=\sec^2x$...
\[y=1 + 2x - 2\frac{\pi}{4}.\] should pi/4 right be able to be multiplied? the answer to this question is 4x - 2y - pi +2 = 0... It seems that I'm deviating away from the answer even more now...

Yea, you should multiply them in order to simplify the equation. With that, you should have the tangent equation
\[y=2x+1-\frac{\pi}{2}.\]

However, your book goes the extra mile to get it in standard form (I don't know why they want you do get it into standard form, but what I have above is usually good enough). To get the book's answer, multiply both sides by 2 to get $2y=4x+2-\pi$ and then subtract $2y$ from both sides to get $4x-2y-\pi+2=0$.

I hope this makes sense!

Related to Finding the equation of a tangent line at a given point (tan and e^x questions)

1. What is the equation of a tangent line at a given point?

The equation of a tangent line at a given point is a linear function that represents the slope of a curve at that particular point. It can be written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the tangent line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How is the tangent line related to the derivative?

The derivative of a function at a given point is equal to the slope of the tangent line at that point. This means that the derivative can be used to find the equation of the tangent line at a given point.

3. Can you find the equation of a tangent line at a point using only the function's equation?

Yes, the equation of the tangent line at a given point can be found using the derivative of the function at that point. The derivative can be calculated using the function's equation.

4. How do you find the slope of the tangent line at a given point?

The slope of the tangent line at a given point can be found by taking the derivative of the function at that point. The derivative is equal to the slope of the tangent line at that point.

5. Can the equation of a tangent line be used to find the value of a function at a given point?

No, the equation of a tangent line only represents the slope of the curve at a given point and not the actual value of the function at that point. However, the equation can be used to approximate the value of the function at that point, especially if the function is continuously differentiable.