Finding domain for when composite function is continuous

In summary, the conversation is about finding where the function ##h(x) = \ln(x^2)## is continuous on its entire domain. The reasoning behind this is that since the natural log is defined for positive values of x, the argument of the function, ##x^2##, must also be positive. Therefore, it can be determined that the function is not continuous at ##x=0##. The individual also asks for help in proving this by solving the equation. It is mentioned that the function is differentiable at all points except for ##x=0##. It is clarified that the function is actually written as ##\ln(x^2)## with a lowercase "l" instead of an uppercase "I".
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
I am trying to find where ##h(x) =In{x^2}## is continuous on it's entire domain.

My reasoning is since natural log is defined for ##x > 0##, then the argument ##x^2## should be positive, ##x^2 > 0##, we can see without solving this equation that ##x ≠ 0## for this equation to be true, however, does someone please know how we could prove this by solving that equation for x?

My working is
##x > 0## (Taking square root of both sides of the equation)

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ChiralSuperfields said:
Homework Statement: Please see below
Relevant Equations: Please see below

I am trying to find where ##h(x) =In{x^2}## is continuous on it's entire domain.

My reasoning is since natural log is defined for ##x > 0##, then the argument ##x^2## should be positive, ##x^2 > 0##, we can see without solving this equation that ##x ≠ 0## for this equation to be true, however, does someone please know how we could prove this by solving that equation for x?

My working is
##x > 0## (Taking square root of both sides of the equation)

Many thanks!
It is neither defined nor continuous at ##x=0.## It is continuous everywhere else. What do you use to prove continuity? E.g. it is differentiable at ##x\neq 0## and therewith continuous. Or you use a definition for continuity. There are a few, so which one do you use?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
ChiralSuperfields said:
There is no "##In()## function; i.e., starting with uppercase i. It's ##\ln()##, with a lowercase letter l (ell), short for logarithmus naturalis.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Note that [itex]\ln x^2 = 2\ln |x|[/itex].

Likes ChiralSuperfields and SammyS