Exploring Space-Time & SR: Why so?

In summary, the author of the paper factored out sqrt(c^2) in order to get the frequently occurring expression 1/sqrt(1-(v/c)^2), referred to by the symbol \gamma, and this is a common practice in texts. The steps involved in this factoring are basic and involve multiplying and dividing by a constant, as well as using the general property that \sqrt{ab} = \sqrt{a} \sqrt{b}.
DB
In http://www.freewebs.com/mouldy-fart/Space,%20Time%20and%20SR.pdf paper the author wrote:

[tex]t'=\sqrt{\frac{4h^2}{c^2-v^2}}=\frac{2h}{\sqrt{c^2-v^2}}[/tex]

[tex]t'=\frac{2h}{\sqrt{c^2}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

Why so?

Also, isn't the relativistic beta considered just v/c, not as the author stated (c/v)^2?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
DB said:
In http://www.freewebs.com/mouldy-fart/Space,%20Time%20and%20SR.pdf paper the author wrote:

[tex]t'=\sqrt{\frac{4h^2}{c^2-v^2}}=\frac{2h}{\sqrt{c^2-v^2}}[/tex]

[tex]t'=\frac{2h}{\sqrt{c^2}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

Why so?

Also, isn't the relativistic beta considered just v/c, not as the author stated (c/v)^2?

The author factored out sqrt(c^2) in order to get the frequently occurring expression 1/sqrt(1-(v/c)^2), which is referred to by the symbol [tex]\gamma[/tex] in most texts. I'm not sure what you mean by beta, but the unitless replacement v := v/c is common.

Last edited by a moderator:
Customarily "c=1" and no such tricks are necessary...:wink:

Daniel.

thanks guys, but I still can't see how
[tex]\frac{2h}{\sqrt{c^2-v^2}}=\frac{2h}{\sqrt{c^2}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]
How did he factor out sqrt(c^2) to get 1/sqrt(1-(v/c)^2)?

DB said:
[tex]\frac{2h}{\sqrt{c^2-v^2}}=\frac{2h}{\sqrt{c^2}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]
This is basic factoring:
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{c^2-v^2}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{c^2(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{c^2}\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{c^2}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

DB said:

Since [tex]c^2[/tex] is a constant, multiply and divide by it:[tex]c^2 (c^2 - v^2)/c^2 = c^2(\frac {c^2}{c^2} - \frac {v^2}{c^2}) = c^2 ( 1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2})[/tex], no?

Last edited:
Also, in general,

[tex]\sqrt{ab} = \sqrt{a} \sqrt{b} [/tex]

if that's what's bothering DB.

selfAdjoint said:
Since [tex]c^2[/tex] is a constant, multiply and divide by it:[tex]c^2 (c^2 - v^2)/c^2 = c^2(\frac {c^2}{c^2} - \frac {v^2}{c^2}) = c^2 ( 1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2})[/tex], no?
Thanks.
Ok. I see the math there, but why do we multiply by c^2/c^2?
(I know you've stated that its constant, but can you elaborate please?)
jtbell said:
Also, in general,

[tex]\sqrt{ab} = \sqrt{a} \sqrt{b} [/tex]

if that's what's bothering DB.
Nawww, don't worry bout that.

DB said:
Thanks.
Ok. I see the math there, but why do we multiply by c^2/c^2?
(I know you've stated that its constant, but can you elaborate please?)

c2 / c2 = 1, so you can multiply by it whenever you want without changing anything.

selfAdjoint was just showing you the intermediate steps very explicitly, making it clear that having an 'extra' c2 multiplying the expression out front is fine as long as you divide both terms in the expression by c2 to compensate. But surely you can arrive at the end result straight away, just by thinking of it as "factoring out a c2" from both terms:

[tex] (c^2 - v^2) = c^2(1- \frac{v^2}{c^2})[/tex]

well that's exactly what hypermorphism and selfAdjoint already showed you.

Ahhh, I see it now, thanks guys.

Related to Exploring Space-Time & SR: Why so?

What is space-time and why is it important to explore?

Space-time is the four-dimensional framework that combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time. It is important to explore because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of the universe and how it works.

What is special relativity and why is it important to study?

Special relativity is a theory that explains the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the speed of an object. It is important to study because it has revolutionized our understanding of the physical world and has led to many technological advancements.

What are the key principles of special relativity?

The key principles of special relativity are the constancy of the speed of light, the relativity of simultaneity, time dilation, and length contraction. These principles help explain how space and time are relative and can be affected by an observer's perspective.

What are some real-world applications of special relativity?

Some real-world applications of special relativity include GPS technology, particle accelerators, and nuclear energy. These technologies rely on our understanding of space-time and the principles of special relativity to work accurately.

How does exploring space-time and special relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Exploring space-time and special relativity allows us to better understand the fundamental laws of the universe and how they govern the behavior of matter and energy. It also helps us make predictions and advancements in science and technology, leading to a deeper understanding of our place in the universe.