Exploring Postgraduate Study in France: Tips and Resources for UK Undergraduates

• Thread starter JvanDyne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study Uk
In summary, the speaker is a final-year UK-residing maths undergraduate who wants to pursue a PhD in astrophysics in Paris. However, due to a community agreement, a masters degree is required for a Parisian PhD. The speaker is now wondering about the feasibility of completing a masters in astrophysics in Paris for the next academic year, with regards to funding. They are advised to research schools and reach out to professors in their area of interest. The speaker is also encouraged to look into scholarships and apply for them.
JvanDyne
I'm a final-year UK-residing maths undergrad and I was hoping to continue my studies with a PhD in astrophysics. I am hoping -- or rather was, straight from my graduate work -- to go to Paris (for various personal reasons) and complete a PhD there. However, as I'm sure some of you are aware, because of the some intra-EU community agreement, you require a masters degree for a Parisian PhD.

So my question is: how viable is it (w/r/t/ funding) for me to complete a masters (in astrophysics) in Paris for the next academic year?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to Google up some schools to do the degree at and get info directly from them. They will be able to tell you things like how much it costs, how long it takes, what the entry requirements are, what the chances are for a scholarship or teaching work during your degree, and lots of other questions I have not thought of. Like, if you need a student visa or other immigration documents. And lots of other things.

Depending on details, you might want to talk to specific profs in your area of interest. Again, Google is your friend. Also

http://arxiv.org/

may help you find profs working in areas you want to study. Also look for magazines the equivalent of Physics Today and various others. They will tell you who has graduated recently, and where they got positions. That may give you further clues as to where to study.

Once you have the name of some schools and some profs, it's time to start sending emails. Explain briefly what it is you are thinking about and ask for guidance in what you need to do, and what you need to know.

Don't forget that many scholarships don't consider you unless you apply to them. So find out what scholarships exist and which you are eligible for, and get your name in.

Related to Exploring Postgraduate Study in France: Tips and Resources for UK Undergraduates

1. What are the benefits of pursuing postgraduate studies in France?

Studying in France allows students to experience a new culture, improve language skills, and gain an international perspective. Additionally, France is home to some of the world's top universities and offers a wide range of programs in various fields of study.

2. How do I apply for postgraduate studies in France?

The application process for postgraduate studies in France varies depending on the university and program, but generally involves submitting an online application, academic transcripts, a CV, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. It is important to carefully research the specific requirements for each program and university.

3. Is it necessary to speak French to study in France?

While most universities in France offer programs in English, having a basic understanding of French can be helpful for daily life and cultural immersion. Some programs may also require a certain level of French proficiency, so it is important to check the language requirements for the specific program you are interested in.

4. What is the cost of postgraduate studies in France?

The cost of postgraduate studies in France varies depending on the university and program. Public universities in France have relatively low tuition fees (around 2,000 euros per year), while private universities may be more expensive. Additionally, students will need to budget for living expenses, which can vary depending on the location.

5. Are there scholarships available for international students studying in France?

Yes, there are various scholarships available for international students studying in France. Some are offered by the French government, while others are provided by universities or private organizations. It is important to research and apply for scholarships early, as they may have specific deadlines and eligibility requirements.