Engineering curriculum the way it should be ?

In summary, Kadris believes that the engineering curriculum in his country should be different than the one he is taking in the United States. He suggests taking Calculus 1, Linear Algebra, and Differential Equations before enrolling in Physics 1 and 2.
Kadris
Engineering curriculum the way it should be !?

Hello guys

Am a new member, and from a 3 world country. and i have been having serous doubts about the way engineering is taught here where i come from. and frankly it feels like am the only one here who cares, and at the fear of sounding paranoia-ed to everyone i know, i am seeking knowledge for this problem elsewhere. some where out of my country where i might find a good answer.
So my question is what is the right order in witch you take your science classes in the first two years of an Engineering degree ?
the subjects am talking about are:
1.cal 1
2.linear algebra
3.physics 1
4. deferential equations
5. chemistry
6. calc 2
7. calc 3
8. physics 2
of course lab 1 and lab2 physics and chemistry lab

where i come from, witch i think its weird the way they do it here.
they take semester 1: calc1,phy1,lab phy1, english,
semester 2: is calc2,phy2,,chemistry, linear algebra
semester 3: calc3, deferential equations
and then life goes on, is this right, well i went through this and i felt that i could have learned more if took calc 1,2 before physics 1 and linear algebra, deferential equations and calc 3 before phy 2, and i have searched on many curriculum in US universities and i found them to be close to what am saying yet there are some Universities who are a bit different maybe they have better students. but where i come from , our high school education is not really that good and the shift from highshcool level to Uni level is quite a jump considering the the textbooks that where using in uni our high school books in comparision look more like children coloring books !

and am quite amazed that though every one is complaining about how hard the curriculum is nobody like me is linking this unnecessary hardness with the fact that we might be taking the courses in the wrong order.

so can somebody shed some light on this matter
Student Kadris

Physics news on Phys.org

That is a strange curiculum. In my University here in the States, we are required to take Calculus 1 before we can enroll in Physics 1 (intro to mechanics). However, we are only required to have Calculus 2 in order to enroll in Physics 2 (Electricity and Magnetism), although the department strongly reccomends being enrolled in Calculus 3 at the same time.

In majority of cases, Linear Algebra is not even required. In my program, chemical engineering, we are only required to take Calculus 1-3 and Differential Equations.

Thank you styrkur for your replay, you don't know how revealed I am, yet still in deep distress over the fact that our university is lying to us but at the same time am relived to know that am not paranoia-ed, as for linear algebra i think it could come in handy for phy 2 in the part where you have to solve multiple equations for the electric circuit and as for calc 3 would introduce multi variable calc in a more abstract manner preparing the students for phy 2. yet that's my opinion and i may be mainly saying that because of our bad high school education but if you have a good high school education i think there is no problem with your curriculum .
can you give me the name of your university ?

Linear Algebra comes in handy for almost everything past Calc. 2 IMO.

Have fun in ODE with no idea about solving systems of linear equations--triple that for Laplace Transforms (at least at my school).

I understand your concerns about the engineering curriculum in your country. It is important for engineering students to have a strong foundation in mathematics and science in order to be successful in their studies and future careers. In my opinion, the order in which these courses are taken is crucial in building this foundation.

Based on my experience and research, the recommended order for taking these courses in the first two years of an engineering degree is as follows:

1. Calculus 1
2. Physics 1
3. Chemistry
4. Linear Algebra
5. Calculus 2
6. Differential Equations
7. Physics 2
8. Calculus 3

This order allows for a gradual increase in difficulty and builds upon previously learned concepts. It also ensures that students have a solid understanding of mathematics and science before moving on to more complex topics.

I understand that your country may have a different curriculum, but I would suggest discussing your concerns with your professors or academic advisors. They may have a valid reason for the current order of courses and can provide insight into their teaching methods.

It is also important to note that the quality of education in high school can greatly impact a student's preparedness for university-level courses. In order to bridge this gap, universities may offer preparatory courses or additional resources for students who may not have had a strong high school education.

In conclusion, I believe that the engineering curriculum should be structured in a way that allows students to build a strong foundation in mathematics and science before moving on to more advanced topics. This will not only prepare them for their studies, but also for their future careers in engineering. I hope this information helps and wish you the best in your studies.

Related to Engineering curriculum the way it should be ?

1. What should be included in an ideal engineering curriculum?

An ideal engineering curriculum should cover the fundamental principles of mathematics, physics, and other core sciences, as well as in-depth courses in various engineering disciplines such as mechanical, electrical, and civil engineering. It should also include hands-on experience through laboratory work and internships, as well as courses in communication, teamwork, and ethics.

2. How can an engineering curriculum be made more relevant to real-world problems?

An engineering curriculum should be designed in collaboration with industry professionals to ensure that it addresses current and emerging challenges in the field. It should also incorporate case studies and projects that require students to apply their knowledge and skills to solve real-world problems. Additionally, internships and co-op opportunities can provide students with practical experience and exposure to industry practices.

3. Is there a need for interdisciplinary courses in an engineering curriculum?

Yes, there is a growing need for interdisciplinary courses in an engineering curriculum. Many engineering problems and projects require a combination of knowledge and skills from different disciplines. Interdisciplinary courses can help students develop a broader perspective and enhance their problem-solving abilities.

4. How can the latest technologies be integrated into an engineering curriculum?

An engineering curriculum should be regularly updated to incorporate the latest technologies and tools used in the industry. This can be achieved through collaborations with industry partners, guest lectures from experts, and investing in state-of-the-art equipment and software for laboratory work. Faculty training and development can also ensure that instructors are equipped to teach using these technologies.

5. How can an engineering curriculum be made more inclusive?

An engineering curriculum should aim to be inclusive by providing equal opportunities for all students to succeed. This can be achieved by promoting diversity in the student body and faculty, incorporating diverse perspectives and examples in course materials, and providing support and resources for students from underrepresented groups. Additionally, incorporating a focus on social responsibility and ethical considerations in engineering can make the curriculum more inclusive.