Effectiveness of the United Nations locked

• Thread starter nobahar
  • Start date
In summary, Nobahar is questioning why their post in the forum 'Effectiveness of the United Nations' was censored without an explanation. They had provided credible sources and supported their argument, but their post was labeled as an off-topic rant. Nobahar is upset as they had put a lot of effort into their post and is wondering why they were not asked for clarification before it was edited. An official notification is expected to be provided.
nobahar
Hello!

Why was my post in 'Effectiveness of the United Nations' censored without an explanation?
I posted credible sources and all of the points where necessary to support my argument. I thought the major flaw with the politics forum is that no-one sites any sources. People seem to openly criticize certain countries, and praise to high heaven certain countries with no justification.
I'll avoid speculating on why just yet.

Nobahar is angry as he spent ages putting together the sources.

Physics news on Phys.org

If you note, the reason for editing says "removed off topic rant". Official notification is forthcoming.

It shows that I did the editing. Why didn't you ask me (per the guidelienes) if you didn't understand the note I left?

Related to Effectiveness of the United Nations locked

1. What is the purpose of the United Nations (UN) and how effective is it in achieving its goals?

The United Nations was established in 1945 with the goal of promoting international cooperation and maintaining international peace and security. Its main objectives include preventing conflicts, protecting human rights, and providing humanitarian aid. The effectiveness of the UN in achieving its goals can be debated, as it has had successes in some areas but has also faced challenges and criticisms in others.

2. How does the UN handle conflicts and maintain international peace and security?

The UN has several mechanisms in place to address conflicts and maintain international peace and security. This includes diplomatic efforts, peacekeeping operations, and sanctions. The UN Security Council, made up of 15 member states, has the power to authorize peacekeeping missions and impose sanctions on countries that pose a threat to international peace and security.

3. What are the criticisms of the UN's effectiveness in promoting human rights?

Some critics argue that the UN has been ineffective in protecting human rights, as it relies on member states to uphold and enforce human rights standards. This can be challenging when member states have different cultural, political, and social beliefs. Additionally, the UN's Human Rights Council has been criticized for having member states with poor human rights records.

4. How does the UN provide humanitarian aid to countries in need?

The UN has a specialized agency, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), which coordinates humanitarian responses to crises and disasters. OCHA works with other UN agencies, NGOs, and governments to provide aid and assistance to countries in need. The UN also has a Central Emergency Response Fund that provides rapid and flexible funding for humanitarian emergencies.

5. What challenges does the UN face in achieving its goals and maintaining its effectiveness?

The UN faces various challenges in achieving its goals and maintaining its effectiveness. These include limited resources and funding, political divisions among member states, and difficulties in implementing and enforcing decisions and resolutions. Additionally, the UN has been criticized for being slow and bureaucratic in its decision-making processes, hindering its ability to respond quickly to global issues and crises.