Easy way to demonstrate the accuracy of Euler's Method

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good example of a differential equation that can demonstrate Euler's method without the need for complex calculations. The goal is to have a simplified numerical solution that can be easily illustrated on a sheet or board without the use of a calculator. However, it has been challenging to calculate the error when the equation involves values such as (e^t). The speaker also mentions struggling with explaining these types of problems due to their language barrier.
Wingman
Hi

As the title says i am trying to find a good example (easy diffrential equation) to demonstrate Euler's method to explain it easily without a lot of calculations, help is appriciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you speaking of the forward Euler numerical difference scheme?

Yes, my bad. Should have explained it a bit better. The thing is, i want to find a diffrential equation with simple approximated numerical solutions using Euler's method without a calculator or such. Later a graph can be illustrated easily on a sheet/board whithout much effort on that part either.

I have found several good examples BUT it's difficult to calculate the error without using a calculator when several of my equation involved values such as (e^t)...

Sorry but my english is poor and i find it very difficult to explain such problems.

Related to Easy way to demonstrate the accuracy of Euler's Method

1. What is Euler's Method?

Euler's Method is a numerical method used to approximate the solutions of ordinary differential equations. It is based on the concept of using small steps to approximate a continuous curve.

2. How does Euler's Method work?

Euler's Method works by dividing a continuous curve into small segments and approximating the slope of the curve at each point. These approximations are then used to calculate the next point on the curve, and this process is repeated until the desired accuracy is achieved.

3. What are the advantages of using Euler's Method?

Euler's Method is relatively simple to understand and implement, making it a popular choice for approximating solutions of differential equations. It also allows for easy adjustment of the step size, which can improve the accuracy of the approximation.

4. What are the limitations of Euler's Method?

Euler's Method is a first-order method, meaning that it can introduce significant errors when used to approximate solutions of higher-order differential equations. It also requires a small step size to achieve high accuracy, which can lead to a large number of calculations and longer computation times.

5. How can the accuracy of Euler's Method be demonstrated?

The accuracy of Euler's Method can be demonstrated by comparing the results obtained using the method with the exact solution of the differential equation. This can be done by plotting the two solutions on a graph and observing the difference between them. Additionally, the error can be calculated and compared to the expected error for a given step size.