Dynamical systems proof - nonwandering set

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the nonwandering set is closed and positively invariant. One person suggests proving it is closed by showing that its complement, the set of "wondering" points, is open. Another person suggests proving it is positively invariant by showing that the orbit through a point in the set remains in the set for t>0. The conversation also includes a definition of positively invariant and a link to a resource for further understanding. Finally, there is a discussion about using the definition of a nonwandering point to directly prove that the nonwandering set is closed.
meteorologist1
Hi, can anyone help me prove the following:

Show that the nonwandering set is closed and positively invariant.

I always have trouble working with sets because they're so abstract. If anyone can help me, that would be great. Thanks.

Definition of nonwandering set is here:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Nonwandering.html

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't recall the term "positively invariant".

To prove it's closed, you could pick an arbitrary convergent sequence of nonwandering points, and prove their limit must be nonwondering.

Or, you could try proving that the complement is open -- that each nonwandering point has a neighborhood of nonwandering points.

Ok, I will try that.

For the term positively invariant:
A subset S of the domain D is an invariant set for the system if the orbit through a point of S remains in S for all t. If the orbit remains in S for t > 0, then S is said to be positively invariant.

If you like, you could also look at:
http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~lebovitz/Eodesbook/ds.pdf

Thanks.

Hey

to show that a set W of non-wondering point is closed it is enough to show that it's complement is open; i.e. a set of "wondering" points is open.
First define "wondering" point ( negation of non-wondering point) : p is wondering (or isn't non-wondering) if there is a open interval K containing p such that any iteration of any point in K isn't in K.

To show that complement of W is open. Take a point p in a complement of W. P isn't non-wondering.
Hence there is an open interval K containing p s.t. every iterate of point in K ends up outside K.
But then every point of K isn't nonwondering as well (for any x in K that a nbhd of x contained in K and then all pts in thsi nbhd will end up outside K)
So K is contained in the complement of W. This proofs that the complement of W is open -> W is closed.

Take care

Thank you very much, xanaduet.

meteorologist1:
In the definition for positively invariant, when you say that the orbit through a point in S remains in S for t>0, does that mean that every iterate of that point stays in S for t>0? If so, I don't see why the nonwandering set is necessarily positively invariant. It seems like the orbit could leave S as long as it always comes back arbitrarily close to where it started.

edit: I suppose it's a little late for this now, but I think you can prove the nonwandering set is closed directly from the definition of a nonwandering point by showing that the set contains all its limit points (often a good way to show that a set is closed). That way you don't have to deal with complements or figuring out when a point isn't nonwandering.

Last edited:

Related to Dynamical systems proof - nonwandering set

1. What is a dynamical system?

A dynamical system is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of a system over time. It is a set of equations that govern the evolution of a system's state from one time point to the next.

2. What is a nonwandering set in dynamical systems?

A nonwandering set is a subset of a dynamical system's state space that contains points that are visited infinitely often by the system. In other words, no matter where the system starts, it will eventually return to these points.

3. What is the importance of studying nonwandering sets in dynamical systems?

Studying nonwandering sets in dynamical systems allows us to understand the long-term behavior of a system. By identifying these points, we can make predictions about the system's future behavior and gain insight into its underlying dynamics.

4. How do you prove the existence of a nonwandering set in a dynamical system?

The existence of a nonwandering set can be proven through a variety of methods, such as Poincaré-Bendixson theory, Brouwer's fixed point theorem, or Liapunov's direct method. These methods involve analyzing the system's flow, stability, and attractors to determine if a nonwandering set exists.

5. Can a dynamical system have multiple nonwandering sets?

Yes, a dynamical system can have multiple nonwandering sets. In fact, most systems have more than one nonwandering set, which can represent different types of behavior or attractors within the system. These sets may also interact with each other, resulting in complex and unpredictable behavior.