Distance between point and curve

In summary, the conversation is about finding the shortest distance between a specified curve and a given point. The individual has tried using both Lagrange multipliers and direct substitution, but has ended up with a complicated polynomial. The other participant confirms that the polynomial is indeed "ugly" and suggests using the cubic formula to solve for the roots. The individual notes that the polynomial is already in reduced form and thanks the other participant for the help.
ocohen
hi,
I have tried both lagrange multiplier and basic derivative minimization for this but keep ending with an ugly polynomial. Any ideas would be appreciated:

find the shortest distance between the curve <t, t^2> and (2,2)

Physics news on Phys.org
Whether by Lagrange multipliers or direct substitution, I get \(\displaystyle 2x^3- 3x- 2= 0\). Is that the "ugly" polynomial you mean? Yes, it has no rational roots. Probably the best you can do is use the cubic formula. Fortunately, it is alread in "reduced form"- there is no "x2" term. This is of the form x3+ mx= n with m= -3/2 and n= 1. A root is of the form a- b with
[tex]a^3= \frac{n}{2}+ \sqrt{\left(\frac{n}{2}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{m}{3}\right)^2}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}+ \sqrt{\frac{29}{8}}[/tex]
and
[tex]b^3= -\frac{1}{2}+ \sqrt{\frac{29}{8}}[/tex]

yeah this is what I got. Thanks for the reply, I just wanted to see if I was doing something wrong since I haven't typically had to use the cubic formula for textbook questions

Related to Distance between point and curve

What is the concept of distance between a point and a curve?

The distance between a point and a curve is the shortest distance from the point to any point on the curve. It is measured as the length of a straight line segment connecting the point to the curve.

How is the distance between a point and a curve calculated?

The distance between a point and a curve can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, by finding the perpendicular distance from the point to the curve, or by using calculus to find the minimum distance between the point and the curve.

What is the significance of the distance between a point and a curve in mathematics?

The distance between a point and a curve is an important concept in mathematics, particularly in geometry and calculus. It is used to find the shortest distance between two objects and to solve optimization problems involving curves.

Can the distance between a point and a curve be negative?

No, the distance between a point and a curve is always positive. It represents a physical distance and cannot be negative.

What are some real-life applications of the concept of distance between a point and a curve?

The concept of distance between a point and a curve has many practical applications, such as calculating the distance between a moving object and a fixed path, finding the shortest distance for a car to travel from one point to another on a curved road, and determining the distance between a satellite and a planet's orbit. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to create smooth curves and transitions.