Displacement controlled tensile test

In summary, displacement controlled tensile tests are the same as strain controlled and load controlled tests, but the orientation of the graphing is reversed.
h22syang
Hi, I'm looking for the result of displacement controlled tensile test.
I want to know about the x-axis component and y-axis component of the result, not the whole data.
I read about some articles about these and they said displacement control is most common.
I've searched a lot but all I found was strain control or load control.
If anyone know, kindly share at here.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Strain controlled and displacement controlled tests are identical in that the rate of travel during the test is maintained constant throughout the test and the required load is measured; as opposed to a load test where a uniform rate of loading is applied and the displacement is measured.
For the majority of tensile testing machines the graphing for both methods is identical with x as displacement and y as load; and, this is the preferred orientation because it is the one that corresponds to essentially all stress vs strain graphs presented in texts and reference documents.
On the other hand, many years ago I used one machine on which this graph orientation was reversed; and, the ASM International 2004 Tensile Testing, Second Edition (#05106G) includes an figures with both orientations.

Likes h22syang
JBA said:
Strain controlled and displacement controlled tests are identical in that the rate of travel during the test is maintained constant throughout the test and the required load is measured; as opposed to a load test where a uniform rate of loading is applied and the displacement is measured.
For the majority of tensile testing machines the graphing for both methods is identical with x as displacement and y as load; and, this is the preferred orientation because it is the one that corresponds to essentially all stress vs strain graphs presented in texts and reference documents.
On the other hand, many years ago I used one machine on which this graph orientation was reversed; and, the ASM International 2004 Tensile Testing, Second Edition (#05106G) includes an figures with both orientations.
Thank you very much, those are really helpful!

Related to Displacement controlled tensile test

1. What is a displacement controlled tensile test?

A displacement controlled tensile test is a type of mechanical test used to analyze the behavior of a material under tension. In this test, the specimen is subjected to a constant rate of displacement until it reaches failure. The resulting data can be used to determine the material's tensile strength, yield strength, and other mechanical properties.

2. How is a displacement controlled tensile test performed?

In a displacement controlled tensile test, the specimen is placed in a machine called a tensile testing machine. The machine applies a constant rate of displacement to the specimen until it reaches failure. The force required to cause the displacement is measured and recorded, and the resulting data is used to analyze the mechanical properties of the material.

3. What are the advantages of a displacement controlled tensile test?

One of the main advantages of a displacement controlled tensile test is that it provides accurate and reliable data on the mechanical properties of a material. It also allows for the testing of a wide range of materials, including metals, plastics, and composites. Additionally, the test can be performed in a relatively short amount of time, making it a cost-effective option for material analysis.

4. What are the limitations of a displacement controlled tensile test?

While a displacement controlled tensile test is a widely used and effective method for analyzing material properties, it does have some limitations. For example, the test is only able to provide data on the behavior of a material under tension and does not take into account other types of loading, such as compression or torsion. Additionally, the results of the test can be affected by factors such as specimen preparation and test conditions.

5. How is the data obtained from a displacement controlled tensile test used?

The data obtained from a displacement controlled tensile test is used to analyze the mechanical properties of a material, including tensile strength, yield strength, and elongation. This information is important for engineers and scientists in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and construction, as it can help them determine the suitability of a material for a particular application and make informed decisions about design and manufacturing processes.