Differentiating Planck's radiation law

In summary, Planck's radiation law is an equation used to calculate the peak of a graph by setting the derivative equal to 0. However, it is not possible to solve for the variable \lambda in terms of familiar functions. It can be solved numerically or in terms of a special function called Lambert's W function. This function is defined as z = W(z)\exp(W(z)) and can be used to solve the equation for \lambda. The solution is given by \lambda T = \frac{hc/k_B}{5 + W_0(-5e^{-5})}, where W_0 is the 0th branch of the Lambert's W function. By plugging in values for the constants and using Wolfram
Piano man
Planck's radiation law:
[tex]I(\lambda)=\frac{2\pi hc^2}{\lambda^5(e^{\frac{hc}{\lambda kT}}-1)}[/tex]

I'm trying to calculate the peak of a graph, so setting the derivative equal to 0, I've gotten it down to
[tex]\frac{\lambda(e^{\frac{\alpha}{\lambda}}-1)}{e^{\frac{\alpha}{\lambda}}}=\frac{\alpha}{5}[/tex]

where [tex]\alpha=hc/kT[/tex]

Is it possible to solve for [tex]\lambda[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not really, at least in terms of functions you've heard of before. You can solve for it in terms of a special function, but otherwise it's best to just solve it numerically.

If you're interested, the special function is called Lambert's W function, W(z), defined by the relation [itex]z = W(z)\exp(W(z))[/itex]. Taking [itex]\alpha/\lambda = w[/itex], you can hammer your expression into looking like [itex]we^w = \mbox{constant}[/itex], so that [itex]w = \alpha/\lambda = W(\mbox{constant})[/itex]. The result is

[tex]\frac{\alpha}{\lambda} = 5 + W_0(-5e^{-5})[/tex]
and so

[tex]\lambda T = \frac{hc/k_B}{5 + W_0(-5e^{-5})}.[/tex]

Plugging values in for h, c and kb and using wolfram alpha to compute gives ~0.0029 m K, which agrees with the experimental value to the precision I used for the other constants.

Some notes: W(z) is a multivalued function. I used the 0th branch to compute the solution. Also, in mathematica, the function is referred to as the "ProductLog[k,x]", where k is the branch and x is the variable.

Last edited:
That's great thanks a million. I'll have to look further into that.

Related to Differentiating Planck's radiation law

What is Planck's radiation law?

Planck's radiation law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the spectral density of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body at a given temperature. It was developed by Max Planck in the early 20th century and is a cornerstone of quantum mechanics.

What is the significance of differentiating Planck's radiation law?

Differentiating Planck's radiation law allows us to calculate important properties of black bodies, such as the peak wavelength of emitted radiation and the total energy emitted. It also helps us understand the relationship between temperature and the spectral density of radiation.

How is Planck's radiation law different from other laws of thermodynamics?

Planck's radiation law is different from other laws of thermodynamics because it specifically deals with the emission of electromagnetic radiation from a black body, rather than the overall behavior of thermodynamic systems. It takes into account the discrete energy levels of quantum systems, which is not included in classical thermodynamics.

What are the variables involved in Planck's radiation law?

The variables involved in Planck's radiation law are temperature, wavelength, and spectral density. Temperature is measured in Kelvin, wavelength in meters, and spectral density in watts per square meter per meter of wavelength.

How is Planck's radiation law used in practical applications?

Planck's radiation law is used in a wide range of practical applications, such as in the development of energy-efficient lighting, the study of stars and other astronomical objects, and in the field of infrared spectroscopy. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as photovoltaic cells for solar energy.