Differential and integral equation.

In summary: R} \right\}$2. $\frac{1}{2} f^2(x) = 0 \implies f(x) = 0.$Many thanks.2. $\frac{1}{2} f^2(x) = 0 \implies f(x) = 0.$\int_0^x f(x)~dx \neq \frac{1}{2} f^2(x) in general.If the anti
Guest2
Hello! How do I solve the following integral and differential equations

1. $x^2f''(x)-2xf'(x) = x$

2. $\int_0^{x} (1+f(x))\;{dx} = x$

I'm supposed to http://mathhelpboards.com/linear-abstract-algebra-14/linear-subspaces-17957.html all the polynomials that satisfy this, but I can't. (Shake)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Guest said:
Hello! How do I solve the following integral and differential equations

1. $x^2f''(x)-2xf'(x) = x$

2. $\int_0^{x} (1+f(x))\;{dx} = x$

I'm supposed to http://mathhelpboards.com/linear-abstract-algebra-14/linear-subspaces-17957.html all the functions that satisfy this, but I can't. (Shake)
1. Reduce the order: Let g(x) = f'(x), so your equation becomes \(\displaystyle x^2 g'(x) - 2x g(x) = x\). This is first order linear and you can solve it by method of choice. This equation is exact so no need for an integrating factor.

2. \(\displaystyle \int_0^x (1 + f(x))~dx = \int_0^x (1)~dx + \int_0^x f(x)~dx = x\), so \(\displaystyle \int f(x)~dx = 0\) and go from there.

-Dan

topsquark said:
1. Reduce the order: Let g(x) = f'(x), so your equation becomes \(\displaystyle x^2 g'(x) - 2x g(x) = x\). This is first order linear and you can solve it by method of choice. This equation is exact so no need for an integrating factor.

2. \(\displaystyle \int_0^x (1 + f(x))~dx = \int_0^x (1)~dx + \int_0^x f(x)~dx = x\), so \(\displaystyle \int f(x)~dx = 0\) and go from there.

-Dan

1. $f(x) = \left\{a_1-\frac{1}{2}x+a_2 x^3: a_1, a_2 \in \mathbb{R} \right\}$

2. $\frac{1}{2} f^2(x) = 0 \implies f(x) = 0.$

Many thanks.

Guest said:
2. $\frac{1}{2} f^2(x) = 0 \implies f(x) = 0.$
\(\displaystyle \int_0^x f(x)~dx \neq \frac{1}{2} f^2(x)\) in general.

If the anti-derivative of f(x) exists (and it will if f(x) is a polynomial as you have stated) then define \(\displaystyle F(x) = \int f(x)~dx\)

Then \(\displaystyle \int_0^x f(x)~dx = F(x) - F(0)\). So now you need to solve F(x) - F(0) = 0 where F(x) is a polynomial.

Doing this the "long" way we can do the following:
F(x) - F(0) = 0

F(x) = 0 + F(0) = F(0) = constant = k

This means you have F(x) = k and \(\displaystyle F'(x) = f(x) = \frac{d}{dx}(k) = 0\).

-Dan

Related to Differential and integral equation.

1. What is the difference between a differential equation and an integral equation?

A differential equation involves derivatives, while an integral equation involves integrals. In other words, a differential equation describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives, while an integral equation describes the relationship between a function and its integrals.

2. What are some real-world applications of differential and integral equations?

Differential and integral equations are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, biology, economics, and engineering. Some common applications include modeling population growth, predicting weather patterns, and analyzing electrical circuits.

3. How are differential and integral equations solved?

There are various methods for solving differential and integral equations, depending on the specific equation and its properties. Some common techniques include separation of variables, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms.

4. What is the purpose of using differential and integral equations?

Differential and integral equations allow us to mathematically describe and model various phenomena in the natural world. They can help us understand and predict how systems will behave over time, and can also provide insights into the underlying mechanisms of these systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using differential and integral equations?

While differential and integral equations are powerful tools for modeling and analyzing natural phenomena, they do have some limitations. For example, not all equations can be solved analytically, and even when solutions exist, they may not be unique. Additionally, some systems may be too complex to be accurately described by a single equation.