Coupled ODE with missing connecting derivatives

In summary, the coupled system of ODE can't be solved analytically using the eigenvalue method, but there may be a numerical solution. Thanks for your help!
FrankST
Hi,

I have a coupled system of ODE like:

w1'' = A w2'' + B w1 + C w2
w2'' = D w1'' + E w1 + F w2

I need to solve it analytically but it seems it cannot be solved using eigenvalue method. My concern is first that if this system have sufficient equations and if so how it can be solved analytically. If there is no analytical solution, is there any numerical solution for that?

Thanks for your assistance,

Frank

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Frank! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Isn't that just PW'' = QW, with P and Q matrices? :wink:

Solving is possible by substitution.
w1'' = A w2'' + B w1 + C w2
w2'' = D w1'' + E w1 + F w2
w2''= D(A w2'' + B w1 + C w2) + E w1 + F w2
w1 = (w2'' - D A w2''- D C w2 - F w2 ) / ( D A + E )
w1'' = (w2'''' - D A w2''''- D C w2'' - F w2'' ) / ( D A + E )
Then, bringing back w1 and w1'' into w2'' = D w1'' + E w1 + F w2 leads to a fourth order linear ODE with only one unknown function w2

I personally prefer the more elegant operator approach. First, I'll use lower-case constants and subscripts to make it easier to read. The operator approach is more methodical and easy to apply:

[tex]w_1^{''}=aw_2^{''}+bw_1+cw_2[/tex]

[tex]w_2^{''}=dw_1^{''}+ew_1+fw_2[/tex]

Now move everything over:

[tex]w_1^{''}-bw_1-aw_2^{''}-cw_2=0[/tex]

[tex]w_2^{''}-fw_2-dw_1^{''}-ew_1=0[/tex]

Now convert to operators and line-up everything:

[tex](D^2-b)w_1-(aD^2+c)w_2=0[/tex]

[tex](dD^2+e)w_1-(D^2-f)w_2=0[/tex]

Now, to eliminate [itex]w_2[/tex], operate on the first by [itex](D^2-f)[/itex] and on the second by [itex]-(aD^2+c)[/itex] and add. I get then:

[tex](D^2-f)(D^2-b)w_1-(aD^2+c)(dD^2+e)w_1=0[/tex]

Do something similar to get the equation in [itex]w_2[/itex]

Thank you guys for you valuable advices.

Your answers helped me a lot.

Related to Coupled ODE with missing connecting derivatives

1. What is a coupled ODE with missing connecting derivatives?

A coupled ODE with missing connecting derivatives refers to a system of ordinary differential equations (ODEs) where there are missing derivatives connecting different equations. This can occur when the equations are dependent on each other and cannot be easily separated.

2. What are some examples of systems that can be modeled as coupled ODEs with missing connecting derivatives?

Examples of systems that can be modeled as coupled ODEs with missing connecting derivatives include chemical reactions, population dynamics, and electrical circuits. In these systems, the variables are dependent on each other and cannot be easily separated.

3. How do you solve a coupled ODE with missing connecting derivatives?

Solving a coupled ODE with missing connecting derivatives can be challenging and often requires numerical methods. One approach is to use a numerical solver, such as the Runge-Kutta method, to approximate the solutions. Another approach is to use analytical techniques, such as reduction of order or substitution, to transform the system into a form that can be solved.

4. What are the applications of coupled ODEs with missing connecting derivatives?

Coupled ODEs with missing connecting derivatives have many applications in various fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They can be used to model and understand complex systems, make predictions, and design control systems.

5. What are some challenges in working with coupled ODEs with missing connecting derivatives?

One of the main challenges in working with coupled ODEs with missing connecting derivatives is the difficulty in finding analytical solutions. This often requires the use of numerical methods, which can be computationally intensive. Another challenge is identifying and handling singularities or discontinuities in the system, which can lead to numerical instabilities.