Conical Pendulum Problem -Right Way of Solving?

In summary, the problem involves a conical pendulum with an 80.0-kg bob on a 10.0-m wire making an angle of 5.00(degrees) with the vertical. The goal is to determine the horizontal and vertical components of the force exerted by the wire on the pendulum, as well as the radial acceleration on the bob. The solution involves drawing a free-body diagram and breaking down the scenario into x and y force components. The x component of the force is found to be 68.6 N, while the y component is 784 N. The radial acceleration is found to be 0.856 m/s^2. A quicker solution is possible by using T_x = T sin
webren
Hello,
I wanted to make sure that I am solving this problem in the correct manner, because one of my answers seems a little off from the book's.

"Consider a conical pendulum with an 80.0-kg bob on a 10.0-m wire making an angle of 5.00(degrees) with the veritcal. Determine (a) the horizontal and vertical components of the force exerted by the wire on the pendulum and (b) the radial acceleration on the bob."

Here are my steps in solving this problem:

I drew a free-body diagram of the bob and the string and noticed immediately that above the bob (the string) is tension, and that tension is causing the centripetal force, and the bottom of the bob is mg (weight). I realized that a right triangle could be drawn in this scenario. The hypotenuse is equal to 10 m, because that's the length of the wire.

I broke down the scenario into x (or r) and y force components.

Fx(or Fr) = T(sin5) = m(v^2/r)
Fy = T(cos5) - mg = 0

From here, I went ahead and solved for T. So T(cos5) = mg, which equals 787 N. After that, I plugged the T value into the Fx(or Fr) equation and got 68.6 N. The book agrees with me that the x component of the force is 68.6 N, but it says for 784 N for the y component. My answer is three Newtons off. That seems too much?

In solving for (b), I divided the two force equations together, which canceled out m and converted the sin and cos into a single tan. I knew I would need to know the values for velocity, and the radius to continue. First, I solved for the radius using my right triangle and basic geometry to realize that the radius = the hypotenuse multiplied by sin5. Because the hypotenuse = 10 m, my radius = 0.872 m. After that, I solved for velocity, which = 0.864 m/s. To find the radial acceleration, I divided the two (with velocity being squared) and got 0.856 m/s^2. The book agrees with me there as well. To check my radial acceleration answer, I made sure that it was equal to Tsin5, and it is.

Is that the correct way in solving this kind of problem? Any opinions or suggestions would be great. Also, is it acceptable to be off by three Newtons in the answer above? Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
webren said:
Hello,
I wanted to make sure that I am solving this problem in the correct manner, because one of my answers seems a little off from the book's.

"Consider a conical pendulum with an 80.0-kg bob on a 10.0-m wire making an angle of 5.00(degrees) with the veritcal. Determine (a) the horizontal and vertical components of the force exerted by the wire on the pendulum and (b) the radial acceleration on the bob."

Here are my steps in solving this problem:

I drew a free-body diagram of the bob and the string and noticed immediately that above the bob (the string) is tension, and that tension is causing the centripetal force, and the bottom of the bob is mg (weight). I realized that a right triangle could be drawn in this scenario. The hypotenuse is equal to 10 m, because that's the length of the wire.

I broke down the scenario into x (or r) and y force components.

Fx(or Fr) = T(sin5) = m(v^2/r)
Fy = T(cos5) - mg = 0

From here, I went ahead and solved for T. So T(cos5) = mg, which equals 787 N.
Just a comment: the way you wrote it is confusing because it sounds as if you are saying that T cos(5) is 787 N, when you mean that T is 787 N.
After that, I plugged the T value into the Fx(or Fr) equation and got 68.6 N. The book agrees with me that the x component of the force is 68.6 N, but it says for 784 N for the y component. My answer is three Newtons off. That seems too much?
what your 787 N represents is the tension which is NOT vertical. They want the vertical component of the force exterted by the wire, so they want the y component of the tension, which is T cos(5).

In solving for (b), I divided the two force equations together, which canceled out m and converted the sin and cos into a single tan. I knew I would need to know the values for velocity, and the radius to continue. First, I solved for the radius using my right triangle and basic geometry to realize that the radius = the hypotenuse multiplied by sin5. Because the hypotenuse = 10 m, my radius = 0.872 m. After that, I solved for velocity, which = 0.864 m/s. To find the radial acceleration, I divided the two (with velocity being squared) and got 0.856 m/s^2. The book agrees with me there as well. To check my radial acceleration answer, I made sure that it was equal to Tsin5, and it is.
In the last line, you mean that the mass times the radial acceleration gives T sin (5), right?

You did it right except that you could have done it much much faster! They did not ask about the speed or the radius, just the radial acceleration, so you could have used [itex] T_x = T sin(5)= m a_r [/itex] and just divide Tsin(5) by the mass and be done!

Ahh, okay. I thought that the tension was the y component the problem was talking about. Knowing that, the force of the y component is 784, which agrees with the book. Thanks for clearing that up, and for showing me a quicker way of solving.

webren said:
Ahh, okay. I thought that the tension was the y component the problem was talking about. Knowing that, the force of the y component is 784, which agrees with the book. Thanks for clearing that up, and for showing me a quicker way of solving.
You are very welcome.
And good for you, you did all the work by yourself!

Patrick

looking at a similar problem but a bit confused on how webren gets
Tsinθ = m (v^2/r)
?

Related to Conical Pendulum Problem -Right Way of Solving?

1. What is a conical pendulum problem and how is it solved?

A conical pendulum problem is a physics problem that involves a pendulum swinging in a circular motion in a vertical plane. It is solved by using equations of motion and trigonometric identities to find the tension, velocity, and acceleration of the pendulum at different points in its motion.

2. What is the difference between the "right way" and the "wrong way" of solving a conical pendulum problem?

The "right way" of solving a conical pendulum problem involves properly setting up the equations of motion and using trigonometric identities to solve for the variables. The "wrong way" may involve using incorrect equations or not considering all forces acting on the pendulum, leading to incorrect results.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a conical pendulum problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a conical pendulum problem include forgetting to consider all forces acting on the pendulum, using incorrect equations of motion, and not properly using trigonometric identities to solve for the variables.

4. What are some real-world applications of conical pendulum problems?

Conical pendulum problems have real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. They can be used to analyze the motion of objects in circular orbits, such as satellites, or to design structures that can withstand circular motion, such as roller coasters.

5. Are there any strategies or tips for solving conical pendulum problems?

Some strategies for solving conical pendulum problems include drawing a free-body diagram to identify all forces acting on the pendulum, breaking down the motion into components, and using trigonometric identities to solve for the variables. It is also important to double-check all calculations and consider the physical constraints of the problem to ensure accurate results.