Conception and pregnancy tests

• Thread starter tatzaana
  • Start date
In summary, you should wait two weeks after conception to take a pregnancy test in order to get a accurate reading.
tatzaana
How soon after conception would a pregnancy test be able to pick up on the hormones?
We "did it" on thursday and I'm just too impatient to wait for two weeks to find out. But i don't want to keep wasting pregnancy tests.

Biology news on Phys.org
You will be wasting pregnancy tests if you take the test before the instructions say it will detect pregnancy. I can't give one definite answer, because each test is a little different in its sensitivity.

Also, keep in mind that if you get a negative result and still think you might be pregnant (i.e., missing a menstrual period, or it is very light...some women will still have "spotting" during the first few months of pregnancy and can mistake it for a period, especially if they are used to light periods due to previous use of hormonal contraceptives, such as "the pill" or Depo shots), check with your doctor; some women have very low levels of hCG, which is the hormone the tests measure (well, a metabolite of it excreted in urine anyway) during pregnancy, and the tests will come up with a false negative. These can also be pregnancies that are more at risk of miscarriage, so definitely a reason to get a negative result verified if you have any other symptoms of pregnancy.

If you are in the process of trying to get pregnant, and certainly if there is already a chance of it, make sure you are taking prenatal vitamins. Those should be begun as soon as you decide you're trying to get pregnant since the folic acid in them helps prevent spina bifida, which is a serious birth defect that occurs due to a problem in development during only the first 2 weeks to month of pregnancy, often before most women know they are pregnant. (But only take the dose of the vitamins recommended by your doctor...this is a case where you need enough, but too much can also be harmful to the embryo/fetus, particularly vitamin C, so don't overdo it.)

As an aside, if you are planning to become pregnant and have a baby, it may be a very good time to start practicing patience...a little one will certainly test it! :wink:

tatzaana said:
How soon after conception would a pregnancy test be able to pick up on the hormones?
We "did it" on thursday and I'm just too impatient to wait for two weeks to find out. But i don't want to keep wasting pregnancy tests.
Glad to read such a nice piece of information.
http://internetmanagementsoftware.org[/color]

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Conception and pregnancy tests

1. How does conception occur?

Conception occurs when a sperm fertilizes an egg. This typically happens in the fallopian tubes, where the sperm travels to reach the egg after sexual intercourse. Once fertilized, the egg will then implant into the lining of the uterus.

2. What is the best time to take a pregnancy test?

The best time to take a pregnancy test is after a missed period. This is when the levels of the hormone human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) are high enough to be detected by a pregnancy test. Some tests may be able to detect hCG earlier, but waiting until after a missed period can give a more accurate result.

3. Can a pregnancy test give a false negative result?

Yes, it is possible for a pregnancy test to give a false negative result. This can happen if the test is taken too early, before the levels of hCG are high enough to be detected. Other factors such as expired tests or not following the instructions correctly can also affect the accuracy of the result.

4. Are there different types of pregnancy tests?

Yes, there are two main types of pregnancy tests - urine tests and blood tests. Urine tests are the most common and can be done at home. Blood tests are more accurate and can detect pregnancy earlier, but they are usually done at a doctor's office.

5. How accurate are pregnancy tests?

Pregnancy tests are generally very accurate when taken correctly. However, the accuracy can vary depending on the brand and when the test is taken. It is recommended to follow the instructions carefully and to confirm with a doctor if there is any doubt about the result.