Collisions Problem: Finding Gs During Impact

• Thread starter tonytnnt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collisions
In summary, scientists are trying to figure out how many g's something undergoes after being dropped and hitting the floor. The time it takes for the collision to occur is important, and scientists have to find that information using experiments or modeling.
tonytnnt
Hi, I'm trying to figure out the number of g's something undergoes after being dropped and hitting the floor. So far I've figured out that I need the time it takes for the collision to occur. I know it's not instantaneous, but I can't find any information on it, so can you point me in the right direction? Are there tables with this information available?

P.S. If you need a scenario to figure out what I'm talking about (since I'm not sure if I've worded it correctly) if I were to drop my TI-89 graphing calculator from a height of about 2 meters, it should reach about 6.3 m/s in a vacuum. I need to figure out how many g's the calculator would experience when hitting a concrete floor (or slate or marble etc.)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
All you need to do is find that acceleration (m/s2). To get the g-force, just divide that by the acceleration due to gravity.

Yeah I know I need to find the acceleration. I have the velocity, but I need the time it takes for the impact deformation to occur when the plastic (or some other material) hits the concrete.

It depends on the structure and rate of deformation of the thing and the floor. It is just about possible to model this using finite element programs but for an accurate answer you pretty much have to measure it experimentally.
In fact it is usually easier to measure the acceleration with embedded accelerometers and calculate the time.

Actually I'm trying to figure out what kind of tolerance I need for accelerometers :-p The ones I want to use are rated for 3500g max, but I'm not sure how much I should account for. Oh, well. Trial and error I suppose.

I think 3500g is up in artillery round accelaration.
Typical 2-3 foot drop tests for laptops are around 200g.

thanks, looks like I might need to do some testing.

Related to Collisions Problem: Finding Gs During Impact

What is a collision problem?

A collision problem refers to the study and analysis of the physical forces and effects involved when two or more objects collide with each other. This can include determining the velocity, momentum, and impact force of the objects during the collision.

Why is it important to find the Gs during impact?

The Gs, or gravitational force, during impact is important because it can help determine the severity of the collision and the potential for injury or damage. It is a measurement of the acceleration experienced by an object during impact, and can be used to assess the safety of structures or vehicles involved in collisions.

What factors affect the Gs during impact?

The Gs experienced during impact can be influenced by various factors such as the mass and velocity of the objects, the angle and direction of impact, and the materials and structures involved. Other external factors like air resistance and friction can also affect the Gs during impact.

How do scientists measure the Gs during impact?

To measure the Gs during impact, scientists use specialized instruments such as accelerometers which can record the acceleration of an object. This information can then be used to calculate the Gs experienced during impact. High-speed cameras and simulation software can also be used to analyze and measure the Gs during impact.

How can the results of studying collisions be applied in real-life situations?

The study of collisions can have practical applications in various fields such as transportation, sports, and engineering. For example, understanding the Gs during impact can help improve the design and safety of vehicles and structures. It can also be used to develop safety measures and protocols in sports to reduce the risk of injury.