Closed form for geometricish series (index squared in the exponent)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a closed form or tight bounds for the finite sum x^k², k=0 to n, where x is a real number between -1 and 1. The speaker also mentions the Jacobi theta function as a potential solution for the infinite sum. Later, they ask for a lower bound for a different sum involving x, and express a need for a closed form to solve an inequality for n.
lasindi
Closed form for "geometricish" series (index squared in the exponent)?

Hi all,

Is there a nice closed form for the following series?

[itex]\sum_{k=0}^n x^{k^2}[/itex]

Even a decently tight upper bound and lower bound would be nice (obviously it is bounded by the corresponding geometric series [itex]\sum x^k[/itex], but is there anything better?).

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi !
As far as I know, there is no referenced closed form for the finite sum x^k² , k=0 to n.
The closed form for the infinite sum x^k² k=0 to infinity, with -1<x<1, is =(theta(0 , x)+1)/2 , involving the Jacobi theta function.

Thanks for the reply! It turned out that the plain old geometric upper bound was sufficient for what I was doing before, but now I need a lower bound for the following sum for [itex]x \in (0,1)[/itex].

[tex]
\sum_{k=0}^n [x^k + x^{k(k+1)/2} - 1]
[/tex]

Clearly as n goes to infinity, this sum goes to negative infinity, but first it will increase with n and then decrease. I want a lower bound that captures that beginning increasing part. I don't really understand much about the Jacobi theta function so I'm not sure if it would be useful here too...

Essentially what I need is a closed form lower bound so that I can solve an inequality for n.

Related to Closed form for geometricish series (index squared in the exponent)?

1. What is a closed form for a geometricish series with the index squared in the exponent?

A closed form for a geometricish series with the index squared in the exponent is an equation that can be used to calculate the sum of all the terms in the series without having to add them up individually.

2. How is a closed form for a geometricish series with the index squared in the exponent derived?

A closed form for a geometricish series with the index squared in the exponent is derived using mathematical techniques such as the geometric series formula and the binomial theorem.

3. Can a closed form for a geometricish series with the index squared in the exponent always be found?

No, a closed form for a geometricish series with the index squared in the exponent can only be found for certain types of series that have specific patterns and properties. In some cases, it may not be possible to find a closed form solution.

4. How can a closed form for a geometricish series with the index squared in the exponent be used in real-world applications?

A closed form for a geometricish series with the index squared in the exponent can be used in various fields such as engineering, finance, and physics to calculate the total value or sum of a series of values that follow a certain pattern or growth rate.

5. What are some common examples of geometricish series with the index squared in the exponent?

Some common examples of geometricish series with the index squared in the exponent include the sum of the squares of natural numbers, the sum of the cubes of natural numbers, and certain types of compound interest problems.