Change of variable in electrostatic potential energy.

In summary, the individual is seeking help in understanding the reasoning behind a specific change of variable used to evaluate a volume integral. They initially thought it was changing from Cartesian coordinates to spherical, but it turned out to be incorrect. They are now looking for assistance in understanding the reasoning behind this change of variable.
Azorspace

Homework Statement

Hello everyone i have a problem in visualizing why a a change of variable happens. To evaluate a volume integral. I hope that someone could give me a hint of the reasoning that makes you think in that specific change of variable.

Homework Equations

See the attachment for this part, or the image link.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that it was changing from cartesian coordinates to spherical, but that was not right, so now i have a problem because i don't know how is the reasoning that lead you to think in that change of variable.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5585/equations.jpg

Attachments

• Equations.doc
    72.5 KB · Views: 243
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Many people here (including myself) will not open .doc files since they are known to easily hide viruses.

You'll have an easier time getting assistance if you type out the equations usins [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] or post a link to an image file (you can host them for free at imageshack.us) instead.

Related to Change of variable in electrostatic potential energy.

1. What is a change of variable in electrostatic potential energy?

A change of variable in electrostatic potential energy is a mathematical technique used to simplify the calculation of electrostatic potential energy in a system. It involves substituting one or more variables in the original formula with new ones, which can make the equation easier to solve.

2. Why do we use a change of variable in electrostatic potential energy?

We use a change of variable in electrostatic potential energy to make the calculation of potential energy simpler and more manageable. This technique can help us to solve complex equations more easily, and it can also provide insight into the behavior of the system.

3. What are the benefits of using a change of variable in electrostatic potential energy?

Some benefits of using a change of variable in electrostatic potential energy include simplifying the equation, gaining a better understanding of the behavior of the system, and making it easier to solve complex equations. Additionally, it can help to identify relationships between different variables in the equation.

4. Are there any limitations to using a change of variable in electrostatic potential energy?

While a change of variable can be a helpful technique, it is not always applicable or necessary. In some cases, the original equation may already be simple enough to solve without a change of variable. Additionally, this technique may not work for more complex systems with multiple variables.

5. How do I know which variable to change in electrostatic potential energy?

The choice of which variable to change in electrostatic potential energy depends on the specific system and equation being solved. It is often helpful to look for relationships between different variables and choose a substitution that will simplify the equation or make it easier to solve. Practice and experience can also guide the decision of which variable to change.