Careers in physics other than teaching or research

In summary: You seem to be pursuing something in computer science. I don't understand why you would feel regret, it seems that you are making progress.In summary, the conversation discusses the career options for someone with a bachelor's degree in Physics. The options include teaching, pursuing a Ph.D., and working in various fields such as engineering, programming, and research. It is mentioned that internships are important for gaining experience and that pursuing advanced degrees in engineering or computer science can lead to more opportunities. The conversation ends with the topic of regret and the importance of choosing a career path that aligns with personal interests and goals.
Avimanyu Ray
Hi everyone,
Im from India, a country where the general line careers won't fetch luxury or good financial stability. After doing bachelors in Physics, what are the options open for me other than the teaching profession or Ph.D.? I also need to keep in mind about the financial security while deciding my career.

Physics news on Phys.org
Being a programmer or software engineer is a possible option since their is not necessarily a standardized education for those positions. Just have to be adept at programming (which is usually self taught with enough dedication)

Forensic Science
Principal Antenna Engineer
Meteorologist
Actuary
Plasma Etching Engineer
Research Technician
Scientific Programming Analyst
Radio Frequency Development
Health Physics
Environmental Science

These are just a few results I found based on actual job ads from companies. It is true that Physics does not specifically train you for a particular job, but unlike what people may tell you (especially on this forum) is that their are companies that do hire physics majors. Some of the jobs I listed will require some form of advanced/additional education. However, most of them will hire Physics BS.

At the end of the day, INTERNSHIPS seem to dominate overall, with GPA being focused upon if you lack the former. Even with a Engineering degree, if you have (GPA < 3.0), you will struggle to find a decent job (unless you have connections, obviously). Internships help because regardless of your degree, you need to be trained to do a specific task on the job. My only advice is that you need to be fast, but effective learner (which applies to any field of study).

You can not do every Engineering job since some require (ABET) and other others require pursuit of a (PE). So look for the positions where Physics majors are also considered.

It will still be difficult to find a job even with relevant education.

You have options being a Physics major, and I hope some other people will give feedback.

P.S. I have a Physics BS myself, and personally I admit that you will have more options if you get an advanced degree in Engineering or CS related fields (which I am doing now). But you don't have to pursue education as career if you don't want to ( I know I am not).

Likes atyy, StrangeCharm, Avimanyu Ray and 1 other person
A bachelor's degree in physics primarily qualifies you to get a Ph.D. in physics, which is the degree you need if you want to work *in physics*.

But if you *don't* want to do research in physics, why would you even *consider* majoring in physics? Because getting a job is too easy and you want a challenge?!?

Yes, there are many jobs that a physics graduate can get. But you will be an employer's second choice for most of them.

Likes Avimanyu Ray, ModusPwnd and Locrian
TMFKAN64 said:
A bachelor's degree in physics primarily qualifies you to get a Ph.D. in physics, which is the degree you need if you want to work *in physics*.

But if you *don't* want to do research in physics, why would you even *consider* majoring in physics? Because getting a job is too easy and you want a challenge?!?

Yes, there are many jobs that a physics graduate can get. But you will be an employer's second choice for most of them.

I understand what you are saying, and to be honest I never really wanted to major in physics. My first plans were not working out and I refused to get a technology degree (which may have been somewhat more employable at the big risk of limited grad school options ).

If the OP has a specific path in mind he should take it. I'm only saying that their ARE GOOD OPTIONS for people with physics degrees.

The jobs I listeded can be filled by different degrees cause no one degree will give you enough background to do that job. In fact they are more interested in your intern experiences/related REU.

And keep in mind for the grad level your BS becomes less important (I should know). The only case this is not true is when the job specifically requires PE, in which case a BS would of sufficed in Engineering.

TMFKAN64 makes a good point, you would have better options with an engineering degree. I was only try to help. But I'm sorry sorry I have a worthless Physics BS. I'm sorry I wasted your time. TMF I hope your happy.

Likes atyy
I didn't interpret TMFKAN64's response being to you VoloD, but to the OP.

I actually thought your post was a good one VoloD.

Locrian said:
I didn't interpret TMFKAN64's response being to you VoloD, but to the OP.

I actually thought your post was a good one VoloD.
Thank You. Yes I know he was speaking to the OP . I just have a lot regrets. I'm haunted by my past and I don't wish that for anyone.

Likes TMFKAN64
VoloD said:
TMFKAN64 makes a good point, you would have better options with an engineering degree. I was only try to help. But I'm sorry sorry I have a worthless Physics BS. I'm sorry I wasted your time. TMF I hope your happy.

No, you misunderstand me. There is nothing wrong with getting a physics degree... if you want to pursue physics. A physics degree shows that you are smart and trainable, and there are many good "Plan B" options if getting into research doesn't work out. (And it often doesn't, but that's another subject entirely.)

However, the OP doesn't seem to have started a degree yet. And if that's the case, there is no point in getting a degree that doesn't take him/her where he/she wants to go. There are better options, and before you even start is the time to take them.

VoloD said:
Thank You. Yes I know he was speaking to the OP . I just have a lot regrets. I'm haunted by my past and I don't wish that for anyone.

We're all haunted by our pasts.

I didn't mean anything to be a criticism of your choices at all.

I'll say one more thing... there is a *world* of difference between saying "I got a degree in field A, but I'd like to get into field B" and saying "My plan is to get a degree in field A and then go into field B." People make mistakes or change their minds all of the time, that's life. But generally speaking, *planning* things that way is a big mistake.

(And for the record, I'm one of those "I got a degree in field A but I'd like to get into field B" people.)

Last edited:
Likes VoloD, Timo and elkement
VoloD said:
Being a programmer or software engineer is a possible option since their is not necessarily a standardized education for those positions. Just have to be adept at programming (which is usually self taught with enough dedication)
At the end of the day, INTERNSHIPS seem to dominate overall, with GPA being focused upon if you lack the former. Even with a Engineering degree, if you have (GPA < 3.0), you will struggle to find a decent job (unless you have connections, obviously). Internships help because regardless of your degree, you need to be trained to do a specific task on the job. My only advice is that you need to be fast, but effective learner (which applies to any field of study).
P.S. I have a Physics BS myself, and personally I admit that you will have more options if you get an advanced degree in Engineering or CS related fields (which I am doing now). But you don't have to pursue education as career if you don't want to ( I know I am not).
Thanks a ton for the vast scope of choices i have if i study BS physics, ill find out about these careers further. However, I've heard rumours that doing a CS related degree like MCA,will later affect me in getting a job since i will only be a 2nd option to the interviewer because students with BCA-->MCA wil have the priority. Is it true? Further I would also like to know more about internships which you mentioned,and how to find them or apply for them.

TMFKAN64 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is researching in physics equivalent to a job? Can you explain why do you use the term 'work in physics'? Because I find Ph.D. as more of another educational degree that i need to study to achieve,rather than thinking of it as a job.

Avimanyu Ray said:
Thanks for looking into the matter,but can you help me as to what further studies do i have to do to enter in the industry sector? Or is BS in physics just enough?

There's no piece of paper that tells you that you can get a job in industry. There are many different types of jobs.

Avimanyu Ray said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is researching in physics equivalent to a job? Can you explain why do you use the term 'work in physics'? Because I find Ph.D. as more of another educational degree that i need to study to achieve,rather than thinking of it as a job.

No academic degree is equivalent to a job. No piece of paper guarantees that you will find work.

That said, researching in physics is certainly a job, and it's the job that Ph.D.s in physics usually aspire to. If you spend many years of your life acquiring specialized knowledge, typically, you want to apply this knowledge in a job after you graduate. For someone who studies physics, that means doing research, either in academia or in industry.

However, having a Ph.D. (or a B.S.) in physics can certainly lead to other jobs. As others have pointed out, there are plenty of former physics students who are currently coding for a living. Computer programming is a fine career. But if your *goal* is to be a computer programmer, don't study physics, study software engineering or computer science.

Avimanyu Ray said:
Thanks a ton for the vast scope of choices i have if i study BS physics, ill find out about these careers further. However, I've heard rumours that doing a CS related degree like MCA,will later affect me in getting a job since i will only be a 2nd option to the interviewer because students with BCA-->MCA wil have the priority. Is it true? Further I would also like to know more about internships which you mentioned,and how to find them or apply for them.

It would not be very suprising if someone with a BCA had an easier time getting into a MCA program since they are directly related to each other. However, as with most fields, the fact that you have good interns and co-ops will matter a lot more than your BS once you have achieved your MCA degree.

As others have said...there really is not a reason to pursue Physics unless you want to be a PhD physicists. Now there are WAY more options than just teaching contrary to the ignorance of the public, but to be fair there are more direct means by which to obtain those jobs.

Also, contrary to public opinion, there is actually Physics Education BS which offered a lighter course load than a pure Physics BS. With that said, if you did want to pursue and Education career, people would pick the Physics Education as it is a lot easier than getting the pure subject degree. At best, a Physics BS offers a wide range of opportunities for Specialties in Higher Education (Graduate School, Med School, Law ). Some specific examples (Medical or Health Physics) will benefit more directly.

As for the jobs I mentioned

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=bachelors+degrees+in+physics&start=10

I got most of my examples from job sites like this. My only warning is that if you don't want education options, you will have to adjust the search features for your profile to not include them. Thats what I do, and I usually get a good amount of results. Make sure to go to the company website if you actually were to apply instead of using your profile.

But for the most part, don't jump into Physics as your first choice. Go into CS or Engineering if that is what directly leads to you to the job you want.

As I said before, I only did Physics because I struggled at my old school and none of the other options impressed me. I did not really like programming, and I was not thrilled about being a discount engineer (which unfortunately is how they treat technology degrees).

Likes Avimanyu Ray

Related to Careers in physics other than teaching or research

What types of careers are available in physics other than teaching or research?

There are a variety of career options for individuals with a background in physics, including engineering, data analysis, and consulting. Other popular fields for physics graduates include finance, healthcare, and technology.

What skills do I need to succeed in a non-teaching or research career in physics?

In addition to a strong foundation in physics principles, it is important to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Communication, critical thinking, and computer programming abilities are also highly valued in many industries.

What is the job outlook for careers in physics?

The job outlook for careers in physics is positive, with many industries actively seeking individuals with a physics background. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in the fields of physics and engineering is projected to grow at a rate of 3% from 2019 to 2029.

What type of education is required for careers in physics?

Most careers in physics require at least a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. However, for more advanced roles, a master's or doctoral degree may be necessary. In addition to formal education, continuous learning and staying up-to-date with advancements in the field are important for success.

What is the average salary for careers in physics?

The average salary for careers in physics varies depending on the specific job and industry. According to the American Institute of Physics, the median annual salary for physicists in 2019 was $122,850, while the median annual salary for engineers with a physics degree was $99,000.