Capacitor start single phase motor

In summary, the control unit for the barrier mechanism is continually getting wet and failing. The solution was to wire a system with a bank of relays to reverse the motor direction.
notsosmart
hi

I have been given the task to sort out a broken barrier at the entrance to my work. It is a simple enough system, push button to go up/down and a stop button. Within the barrier mechanism is 2 pistons (one for up, one for down) which are controlled by a hydraulic pump. The pump has a single phase capacitor start motor. This is bidirectional to control either of the pistons.

My problem; the direction of the motor is controlled by an electronic circuit board mounted within the barrier mechanism. This is continually getting wet and failing no matter how much we try to protect it. I now want to build my own system with either a plc unit, or simply relay system, away from the barrier itself to protect from the elements. I am unsure the best way to do this for the reversal of the motor direction. The motor core colours from the built in flex are brown, blue, black, earth, which i assume is switch wire, neutral, switch wire, earth?? Do i need 2 capacitors, one for each switch wire? any help greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In a standard FHP capacitor-start motor, there are two pairs of leads, the motor-run leads and the motor-start leads. All you need to do to reverse the direction of the motor is reverse the polarity of one pair. You cannot reverse the direction of a running single phase induction motor (most, anyway).

Bob S

The pump has a single phase capacitor start motor. This is bidirectional to control either of the pistons.
Are you sure the control unit is not just operating a valve to switch the fluid between the pistons?

thanks.

the motor is continually changing direction for the up or down movement of the barrier. After Don asking, i double checked this. The motor has a pre-wired flex to it with 3 cores and earth. As it is single phase, i presumed it must be two switch wires and a neutral? is my logic wrong here?? please advise, thanks.

page 2 of this link shows the hydraulic unit that I am on about. And the electronic board within enclosure that has been so problematic. http://www.ecssecurity.co.uk/pdf/info/FAAC%20620%20TRAFFIC%20BARRIER.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
See page 3 of this:

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/ElectricMotors.pdf

Reverse the connections of wires #5 and #8 in illustration on 3rd page to reverse direction of starting coil. You will need a double pole double throw (DPDT) switch to do this. The motor direction could be reversing automatically due to either physical limit switches or excessive torque (hydraulic pump pressure) switches.

Bob S

thanks to all. problem now solved.
Using a small bank of relays (plc unit was prob not worth paying for) we have now set a system that works ok. The pump needed to be switched over by manually reversing the polarity like bob explained. This was achieved by the way we wired it.

cheers guys, appreciated

martin

Related to Capacitor start single phase motor

1. What is a capacitor start single phase motor?

A capacitor start single phase motor, also known as a capacitor start induction run (CSIR) motor, is a type of single phase AC motor that uses a capacitor to provide additional starting torque. It is commonly used in applications where a high starting torque is required, such as in compressors, pumps, and air conditioners.

2. How does a capacitor start single phase motor work?

In a capacitor start single phase motor, the capacitor is connected in series with the start winding. When the motor is first energized, the capacitor charges and creates a phase shift between the start and run windings. This phase shift creates a rotating magnetic field, which produces a high starting torque. Once the motor reaches a certain speed, the capacitor is disconnected and the motor operates on the run winding alone.

3. What are the advantages of a capacitor start single phase motor?

The main advantage of a capacitor start single phase motor is its high starting torque, which allows it to start heavy loads and overcome inertia. It is also relatively simple and inexpensive to manufacture, making it a popular choice for many applications. Additionally, it has a high power factor, which results in efficient operation and reduced energy costs.

4. What are the limitations of a capacitor start single phase motor?

One limitation of a capacitor start single phase motor is that it can only rotate in one direction. Reversing the direction of rotation requires additional components, such as a reversing switch or a dual capacitor. Another limitation is that the capacitor can fail over time, causing the motor to lose its starting torque. Lastly, it is not suitable for high-speed applications due to its design and construction.

5. How do you troubleshoot a capacitor start single phase motor?

If a capacitor start single phase motor is not working properly, the first step is to check the capacitor for any signs of damage or failure. If the capacitor is fine, then the start winding, run winding, and centrifugal switch (if present) should be checked for continuity using a multimeter. If any of these components are faulty, they will need to be replaced. Other potential issues could include a faulty power supply, a damaged motor winding, or a problem with the motor's mechanical components.