Can You Construct an Infinite Lattice with Each Integer Exactly Once?

• Thread starter ramsey2879
  • Start date
In summary: Yes something like that is what I had in mind. I don't like the second since I don't think the numbers below are defined by what I consider to be "a basic operation" on the upper numbers. For the first example we have a_{i,j} = a_{i-1,j+1} + 1 = a_{i-1,j}*2 - a_{i-2,j} + 1.I have formed an infinite number of lattices by taking as the first row sequence A000201 from Sloane's Online Encyclopedia of sequences starting with tne nth term but subtracting a_n -1 from each term. Then each
ramsey2879
Suppose you have a rectangular lattice which extends infinitely both left to right and top to bottom and let the upper left hand corner be called the orgin. Problem for thought. Provide a first infinite sequence across the top of the lattice such that the nth lattice point to the right of the orgin contains the nth term of the sequence and define basic some operation that uniformly and completely defines the numbers assigned to the lower rows of the lattice based upon the terms above it so that the entire lattice points are predefined. How many of these lattices can you construct such that each of the integers from 1 to infinity will populate the lattice once and only once? There are in fact an infinite number such distinct lattices. Anyone care for an example or to give an example?

Physics news on Phys.org
ramsey2879 said:
Suppose you have a rectangular lattice which extends infinitely both left to right and top to bottom and let the upper left hand corner be called the orgin. Problem for thought. Provide a first infinite sequence across the top of the lattice such that the nth lattice point to the right of the orgin contains the nth term of the sequence and define basic some operation that uniformly and completely defines the numbers assigned to the lower rows of the lattice based upon the terms above it so that the entire lattice points are predefined. How many of these lattices can you construct such that each of the integers from 1 to infinity will populate the lattice once and only once? There are in fact an infinite number such distinct lattices. Anyone care for an example or to give an example?

With a lattice that is infinite in both directions, 'top' and 'upper left hand corner' don't make sense.

Assigning the integers to the half-plane is a pretty trivial exercise otherwise.

NateTG said:
With a lattice that is infinite in both directions, 'top' and 'upper left hand corner' don't make sense.

Assigning the integers to the half-plane is a pretty trivial exercise otherwise.

I think he means that it extends infinitely to the right and infinitely downward, but has an edge on the top and on the left - basically like N^2.

An example of such a lattice is the following, where we just fill diagonals with successive numbers:

1 2 4 7 .
3 5 8 .
6 9 .
10 .

Another might be based on prime decomposition (1 is placed arbitrarily):

1 2 4 6 8 . . .
3 9 15 21 . . .
5 25 35 55 . . .
7 49 77 91 . . .
11 121 143 . . .
. . .

Moo Of Doom said:
I think he means that it extends infinitely to the right and infinitely downward, but has an edge on the top and on the left - basically like N^2.

An example of such a lattice is the following, where we just fill diagonals with successive numbers:

1 2 4 7 .
3 5 8 .
6 9 .
10 .

Another might be based on prime decomposition (1 is placed arbitrarily):

1 2 4 6 8 . . .
3 9 15 21 . . .
5 25 35 55 . . .
7 49 77 91 . . .
11 121 143 . . .
. . .
Yes something like that is what I had in mind. I don't like the second since I don't think the numbers below are defined by what I consider to be "a basic operation" on the upper numbers. For the first example we have [tex] a_{i,j} = a_{i-1,j+1} + 1 = a_{i-1,j}*2 - a_{i-2,j} + 1.[/tex]

I have formed an infinite number of lattices by taking as the first row sequence A000201 from Sloane's Online Encyclopedia of sequences starting with tne nth term but subtracting
[tex] a_n -1[/tex] from each term. Then each underlying term is uniquely defined be the term immediately above by the operations of addition, multiplication and subtraction where the amounts of subtraction and addition are based upon the values of [tex] n [/tex] and [tex]a_n[/tex].
To wit sequence A000201 is 1,3,4,6,8,9,11,12,14,16,... and starting at term [tex]a_4[/tex] 5 is subtracted from each term to give 1,3,4,6,7,9,11,...

Regardless of the starting term the terms on the rows below are all below are then defined based upon n as follows:
[tex] A_{i,j} = \lfloor (A_{i-1,j}+a_{n} -n -1)*(phi + 1) - a_{n} +1 \rfloor[/tex] phi = sqrt(5) + 1)/2
I checked for n = 1 to 107 that all integers less than 54002 appear in each such lattice once and only once. And also that each term in the lower rows equals 3 times the next upper term minus the 2nd next upper term. I believe that the method works for all n such that each integer from 1 to infinity populates the lattice once and only once, but am still working on the proof.

My lattice based upon the 4th term as the starting term is

Last edited:

Related to Can You Construct an Infinite Lattice with Each Integer Exactly Once?

What is a smoothly populated lattice?

A smoothly populated lattice is a mathematical structure that involves arranging points or nodes in a regular pattern, usually in a two or three-dimensional space. The points are typically connected by lines or edges, forming a grid-like structure. The term "smoothly populated" refers to the fact that the points are evenly distributed and the connections between them are continuous and without abrupt changes.

What are the applications of smoothly populated lattices?

Smoothly populated lattices have various applications in different fields, such as physics, chemistry, computer science, and materials science. They are used to model and study the behavior of complex systems, simulate physical phenomena, and design efficient algorithms for optimization problems. Smoothly populated lattices are also used in the development of new materials with specific properties, such as in the field of nanotechnology.

How are smoothly populated lattices different from other lattice structures?

Smoothly populated lattices differ from other lattice structures in terms of the distribution and connectivity of their points. Unlike other lattices, which may have irregular or random arrangements of points, smoothly populated lattices have a more uniform and continuous distribution of points. This makes them particularly useful in modeling and analyzing systems that exhibit smooth and predictable behavior.

What are the advantages of using smoothly populated lattices?

There are several advantages to using smoothly populated lattices in scientific research. One advantage is that they can accurately represent and simulate complex systems, providing insights into their behavior and properties. Additionally, smoothly populated lattices are efficient in terms of computational resources, making them suitable for large-scale simulations. They also allow for the development of simplified models and algorithms that can be applied to real-world problems.

What are some limitations of smoothly populated lattices?

Like any mathematical model, smoothly populated lattices have limitations. One limitation is that they may not accurately represent certain systems that have discrete or irregular structures. In these cases, other lattice structures or modeling techniques may be more appropriate. Additionally, the accuracy of results obtained from smoothly populated lattices may be affected by the choice of lattice parameters and the assumptions made in the model. It is important to carefully consider the limitations of smoothly populated lattices when applying them to a particular problem.