Can I solve a diff. eq. this way?

• Thread starter cellotim
  • Start date
In summary, to solve the given second-order, nonlinear differential equation numerically, you can use the dsolve command in Maple 9.5 and then evaluate the solution at y(x=R) and y'(x=R).
cellotim
I have a second-order, nonlinear differential equation:

D(y,y',y'',x; y'(x=R)) = 0.

Note that there is a "parameter" which is the first derivative of the solution evaluated at a particular point x=R. I want to solve it numerically and use only the solution at y(x=R) and y'(x=R). I don't care about the solution anywhere else. Can I solve it by simply solving

D(y,y',y'',x; y'(x)) = 0,

and then evaluating at y(x=R) and y'(x=R) afterward?

If not, is there another way? I'm using Maple 9.

Physics news on Phys.org
5 so I'd prefer to use its built-in commands if possible.Yes, you can solve the differential equation by solving D(y,y',y'',x;y'(x)) = 0 and then evaluating the solution at y(x=R) and y'(x=R). Maple 9.5 provides the command dsolve which can be used to solve the nonlinear differential equation. The syntax for this is as follows:dsolve(D(y,y',y'',x;y'(x)),y);The solution can then be evaluated at y(x=R) and y'(x=R) by substituting these values into the solution.

Related to Can I solve a diff. eq. this way?

1. Can I use separation of variables to solve a differential equation?

Yes, separation of variables is a common method for solving certain types of differential equations, particularly first-order equations. However, it may not work for all differential equations and it is important to check for any conditions or restrictions before using this method.

2. Is it possible to solve a differential equation using substitution?

Yes, substitution can be used to solve certain types of differential equations, particularly those that are separable or linear. However, it is important to check for any restrictions or conditions before using this method.

3. Can I use an integrating factor to solve a differential equation?

Yes, the method of integrating factors can be used to solve certain types of first-order linear differential equations. However, this method may not work for all differential equations and it is important to check for any conditions or restrictions before using it.

4. Is there a specific method for solving second-order differential equations?

Yes, there are several methods for solving second-order differential equations, such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and the method of elimination. The appropriate method to use depends on the form of the differential equation and any initial conditions given.

5. Can I use a computer to solve a differential equation?

Yes, there are many numerical methods and computer software programs available to solve differential equations. These methods can be useful for solving more complex or nonlinear equations that may not have analytical solutions. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and limitations of these methods before relying on them for solutions.