Can I Remove My Permanent Infraction Points?

• Thread starter montoyas7940
  • Start date
In summary, the line means that a member is in a temporary smackdown, and as such, their posts may not be up to the standard of other members. If a member's posts are bad enough, they may be banned permanently. If you have any questions about your PF status, please feel free to PM a mentor.
montoyas7940
I was noticing all of the different people with a line through their name.
When I figured out the line meant they were in a temporary smackdown I started looking at recent posts that might show why. Many times I couldn't figure out the offense. Do the mentors delete some of the out of tolerance posts/links?

Physics news on Phys.org
montoyas7940 said:
I was noticing all of the different people with a line through their name.
When I figured out the line meant they were in a temporary smackdown I started looking at recent posts that might show why. Many times I couldn't figure out the offense. Do the mentors delete some of the out of tolerance posts/links?
Most members that have lines through their names have been permanently banned.

And yes, if a member's posts are bad enough to get them banned, they would have been deleted.

Ohhhh!

The line might mean permanent. In that case I'll pass.

just change your name to <s>montoyas7940</s>

I don't get it !?

montoyas7940 said:
I don't get it !?

He's just messin with you. A strike though does represent a member not in good standing and with either a temp or perm ban.

I noticed I had a line through my name for a little while. Is there any recourse? Do the demerits have to never expire?

tribdog said:
I noticed I had a line through my name for a little while. Is there any recourse? Do the demerits have to never expire?

You have been getting the e-mail notifications regarding your PF status, right? Please don't play dumb. It confuses new members who are trying to get it right.

berkeman said:
You have been getting the e-mail notifications regarding your PF status, right? Please don't play dumb. It confuses new members who are trying to get it right.

I'm not playing dumb. I'm saying my demerits say they never expire, but I don't think what i did was bad enough to warrant them. I've already taken the banning, I'm simply asking whether I can get rid of these unwarranted demerits. and I haven't gotten any emails that I'm aware of. unless they went to my junk folder.

tribdog said:
I'm not playing dumb. I'm saying my demerits say they never expire, but I don't think what i did was bad enough to warrant them. I've already taken the banning, I'm simply asking whether I can get rid of these unwarranted demerits. and I haven't gotten any emails that I'm aware of. unless they went to my junk folder.
Permanent infractions points are issued for serious violations of PF guidelines and as the name suggests, they are permanent and never expire nor can they be removed - except if the infraction is reversed by a mentor.

If you want to discuss your specific case further, then please feel free to PM me, or any other mentor.

Related to Can I Remove My Permanent Infraction Points?

1. What does "spiffy" mean in this context?

"Spiffy" is an informal term that means stylish, attractive, or well-dressed. In this context, it is used to describe the appearance of a line through a person's name, implying that it adds a touch of sophistication or uniqueness.

2. How can I add a spiffy line through my name?

There are a few ways to add a spiffy line through your name. You could use a graphic design program or website to create a custom signature with a line through it, or you could use HTML code to add a line through your name on a website or online profile. There are also special fonts that include a line through certain letters, such as the "strikethrough" font in Microsoft Word.

3. Is there a specific meaning or symbolism behind a spiffy line through a name?

No, the use of a spiffy line through a name is purely for aesthetic purposes and does not have any specific meaning or symbolism. It is often used to add a personal touch or to make a name stand out.

4. Can a spiffy line through a name be considered unprofessional?

It depends on the context in which it is used. In some professional settings, such as a formal business email or legal document, a spiffy line through a name may be seen as unprofessional. However, in more casual or creative industries, it may be acceptable or even encouraged to use a spiffy line through a name to add personality or flair.

5. Are there any cultural or regional differences in the use of spiffy lines through names?

Yes, the use of spiffy lines through names may vary in different cultures and regions. In some countries, it may be more common or acceptable to use a spiffy line through a name, while in others it may not be as common or may be seen as unconventional. It is always important to consider cultural and professional norms when deciding whether to use a spiffy line through your name.