Can Bessel's equation be solved using only Frobenius method?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Frobenius method to solve Bessel equations and the confusion around using series developments versus closed forms. The speaker also mentions the need to recognize Bessel equations and acquire the ability to solve them. They also mention the difference between Bessel equations and circular equations, in terms of prior knowledge and recognition.
A Malik
can we use only frobenius method to solve bessel equation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A Malik said:
can we use only frobenius method to solve bessel equation?
Why do you want to use series developments to solve Bessel ODEs ?
On the contrary, the Bessel functions are closed forms which avoid the series developments.

JJacquelin said:
Why do you want to use series developments to solve Bessel ODEs ?
On the contrary, the Bessel functions are closed forms which avoid the series developments.

That's confussing. I mean I look in my DE book, even gotta' section on Bessel DE, and bam! Series solutions.

jackmell said:
That's confussing. I mean I look in my DE book, even gotta' section on Bessel DE, and bam! Series solutions.
Sorry, I cannot understand what is the confusion.
For example, in attachment, two ODEs are compared.
Both solutions can be expressed on closed form thanks to functions which are also infinite series. Of course, the name given to the functions are not the same : J0(x) and cos(x) for example. But I cannot see any other difference, except that cos(x) is more popular than J0(x). But popularity has nothing to do with maths.

Attachments

• Comparison of ODE solutions.JPG
    Comparison of ODE solutions.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 689
JJacquelin said:
Sorry, I cannot understand what is the confusion.
For example, in attachment, two ODEs are compared.
Both solutions can be expressed on closed form thanks to functions which are also infinite series. Of course, the name given to the functions are not the same : J0(x) and cos(x) for example. But I cannot see any other difference, except that cos(x) is more popular than J0(x). But popularity has nothing to do with maths.

Ain't there suppose to be a factor of [itex]2^{2k}[/itex] in there?

May I also ask how is that first equation solved directly if one does not know before-hand, it is a Bessel DE? I think we'd have to resort to power series. However, the OP I think is asking, is there another way other than power series to solve it?

By the way, thanks for helping us in here as you solve in an elegant manner, equations I can't solve and maybe others too. :)

yes there must be a factor
[2]^2k in denominator which will distinguish it from cos(x) series
yup... i was asking any other method to get solution of Bessel equation...
If we use power series method to solve it
what we have to suppose y(x)= ?

jackmell said:
Ain't there suppose to be a factor of [itex]2^{2k}[/itex] in there?

May I also ask how is that first equation solved directly if one does not know before-hand, it is a Bessel DE? I think we'd have to resort to power series. However, the OP I think is asking, is there another way other than power series to solve it?

By the way, thanks for helping us in here as you solve in an elegant manner, equations I can't solve and maybe others too. :)

You are right, I forgot the factor [itex]2^{2k}[/itex]. It is corrected below. Thank you for the remark.

if one does not know how to recognize a Bessel ODE, he cannot solve it directly. More over, if he doesn't know what are the first and second derivatives of the Bessel functions, he cannot put them back in the ODE and see if the equation is satisfied. Moreover and moreover, if he doesn'nt know the DE of the Bessel function, he has no chance to recognize it into the power series of the solutions of the ODE. That is why the best way is to acquire the ability to recognize if an ODE is a Bessel ODE or not.

But it is the same for the ODEs of the kind y''+y=0 :
if one does not know how to recognize a circular ODE, he cannot solve it directly. More over, if he doesn't know what are the first and second derivatives of trigonometric functions, he cannot put them back in the ODE and see if the equation is satisfied. Moreover and moreover, if he doesn'nt know the DE of the trigonometric functions, he has no chance to recognize it into the power series of the solutions of the ODE. That is why the best way is to acquire the ability to recognize if an ODE is a circular ODE or not.
The difference is that trigonometric functions are well known, that ODEs of the kind y''+y=0 are well known and that related background is known before hand, which is generally not the case for ODEs of the Bessel kind. The difference is that many people already aquiered the ability to recognize if an ODE is a circular ODE, but few have learned how to recognize a Bessel ODE.

Attachments

• Comparison of ODE solutions.JPG
    Comparison of ODE solutions.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
If you are referring to solving differential equations in terms of "elementary functions" that cannot be done so then, yes, you would have to use power series. However, it is very simple to solve Bessel's equations in terms of Bessel Functions that are defined as independent solutions to Bessel's equations.

Related to Can Bessel's equation be solved using only Frobenius method?

What is the Bessel equation?

The Bessel equation is a second-order ordinary differential equation that arises in many areas of physics and engineering, particularly in problems involving circular or cylindrical symmetry.

What is the solution to the Bessel equation?

The solution to the Bessel equation is a class of special functions known as Bessel functions. They are denoted by the letter J and have various orders and types.

What are the properties of Bessel functions?

Bessel functions have many important properties, including orthogonality, recursion relations, and asymptotic behaviors. They are also closely related to other special functions, such as the hypergeometric function and the gamma function.

How are Bessel functions used in real-world applications?

Bessel functions have a wide range of applications in areas such as electromagnetics, acoustics, fluid mechanics, and signal processing. They are also commonly used in the solutions of partial differential equations that arise in these fields.

What are some common techniques for solving the Bessel equation?

There are several methods for solving the Bessel equation, including power series, Frobenius series, and integral representations. Other techniques, such as the WKB approximation and numerical methods, can also be used in certain cases.