Calculating Torque Needed for Compost Vessel

In summary, the system will require a torque of 5000 lbs to get started, and will require more power as the compost gets heavier.
compostguy
I am designing an in-vessel composting system - a 21 ft. long 4 ft. diameter steel tube that is mounted and spun on wheels by a hydraulic pump/turbine assembly, coupled to a 60:1 gear reduction box - the hydraulic pump will likely be powered by a small 4-5 HP gas powered motor.

My question relates to calculating the necessary torque to spin this vessel, and how to determine how much speed is altered. The vessel weighs probably 2000-3000 lbs. and will hold probably up to 2000 lbs. of compost.
How can I calculate the necessary torque to spin this? I suspect it has something to do with the circumfrence, the radius from the axis of rotation, etc., but don't really know how it all fits together.

Thanks!
-Colin

Engineering news on Phys.org
[tex]W=\vec \tau \dot \vec d[/tex]

Really, the torque is only necessary to get the vessel spinning, and to counteract friction. With really good bearings - for example an air bearing - and a well balanced solid cylinder there is essentially no torque needed. On the other hand, if the compost vessel is set in a rubber cradle, you'll have a hard time turning it.

The maximal torque is typically necessary when all of the compost is on the side of the cylinder that is going up. (This is really easier to deal with using drawings.)

It seems quite odd to me that you're taking the power from the engine, turning it into hydraulic pressure, feeding it into a turbine, and then taking power from the turbine. It will be more efficient to run the vessel directly off of the motor.

A first estimate for the necessary torque woud be total weight: 5000 lbs multiplied by the radius of the vessel. This overestimates the torque needed to turn the vessel, but ignores turning friction.

Horsepower for rotating objects:

HP = (TxN)/(5250)

where

HP = Horsepower
T = Torque (lb-ft)
N = Motor Base Speed (RPM)
----------------------------------
Torque for rotating objects:

T = (HPx5250)/N

where

T = Torque (lb-ft)
HP = Horsepower
N = Motor Base Speed (RPM)
----------------------------------
You posted this in more than one thread... hope this helps.. and correct me if this isn't what you are looking for.

Related to Calculating Torque Needed for Compost Vessel

What is torque and why is it important in composting?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object. In composting, torque is important because it determines the amount of power needed to rotate the compost vessel, which in turn affects the efficiency of the composting process.

How do I calculate the torque needed for my compost vessel?

To calculate the torque needed for a compost vessel, you will need to know the weight of the vessel, the weight of the compost material, and the desired speed of rotation. The formula for calculating torque is torque = force x distance. In this case, the force is the weight of the compost and vessel, and the distance is the radius of the vessel.

What units of measurement are used for torque?

Torque is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft). In the formula for calculating torque, the force is measured in newtons (N) and the distance is measured in meters (m), so the resulting torque will be in newton-meters. However, if you are using pounds (lb) and feet (ft) for the force and distance, respectively, the resulting torque will be in pound-feet.

What factors can affect the torque needed for a compost vessel?

The torque needed for a compost vessel can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the compost and vessel, the speed of rotation, the size and shape of the vessel, and the type and moisture content of the compost material. Additionally, friction between the vessel and the bearings or support structure can also affect the torque needed.

How can I optimize the torque needed for my compost vessel?

To optimize the torque needed for a compost vessel, it is important to carefully consider the factors mentioned above. Using a smaller vessel, reducing the weight of the compost material, and maintaining proper lubrication can all help reduce the required torque. Additionally, choosing a suitable motor and gear ratio can also help optimize the torque needed for efficient composting.