Calculating torque about a point with given forces

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the net torque on point A using the given forces and their angles. One participant found the same answer as the other but with a simpler solution, and they also mentioned an error in the given answer for the problem. The conversation ends with a new member being welcomed.
Nova_Chr0n0
Homework Statement
What is the net torque around point A?
Relevant Equations
τ = rF
wew1.JPG

I've inserted a photo of the figure, hope everyone can see it.

SOLUTION:
1. I first solved for the angle of 100 N and 50 N since I need the force that is perpendicular to point A.
>> Angle of 100 N
theta = arctan(3/4)
theta = 36.870 degree
>> Angle of 50 N
theta = arctan(12/5)
theta = 67.380 degree
2. Solving for the net torque on point A where counter-clockwise is + and clockwise is -
τ = rF
τ_A = -1[100sin(36.870)] - 1.75(70) - 2[50sin(67.380)]
τ_A = -274.808 Nm

My final answer for the torque at point A is -274.808 Nm, but when I check the answer in the textbook, it is -295 Nm. I am confused about what part I did wrong. Also, I'm new to the forum, so if my format is not understandable, kindly inform me about it. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Finding the angles was rather unnecessary since you are given the right triangle ratios. You could just write 100N x 1m x (3/5) etc.
But I get the same answer as you do.

Likes Nova_Chr0n0
Well, I've got 274.8 as well, though my solution is somewhat less convolute than yours.

Is there anything else to the question ?

Likes Nova_Chr0n0
haruspex said:
Finding the angles was rather unnecessary since you are given the right triangle ratios. You could just write 100N x 1m x (3/5) etc.
But I get the same answer as you do.
I guess there was just an error in the given answer for the file that I've encountered. Also, thanks for letting me know a solution with less work when involving triangle ratios. Really appreciate it!

Nova_Chr0n0 said:
I guess there was just an error in the given answer for the file that I've encountered. Also, thanks for letting me know a solution with less work when involving triangle ratios. Really appreciate it!
Welcome, @Nova_Chr0n0 !

That dimension of 1 m to the right of the figure suggests that either a force that is applied at the right end, or the weight of the 3-meter bar, is missing.

• Informative
Likes Nova_Chr0n0