Calculate Total Energy Required to Melt 100g of Lead

In summary, to calculate the total energy required to change 100g of lead at 25°C to molten lead at its melting point, you would first use q = mc(delta)t to find the heat required to bring the lead to its melting point. Then, you would use q = n(delta)H to find the energy required to melt the lead. The sum of these two values, expressed in either kJ or J, would give you the total energy required. It is best to check with your teacher for their preference of units.
atOnz
The specific heat capacity of solid lead is 0.159J/g°C, the molar enthalpy of fusion is 5.0kJ/mol, and the melting point of lead is 328°C. Calculate the total energy required to change 100g of lead at 25°C to molten lead at it's melting point.

I don't even know where to start, I know q=mc(delta)t and q=n(delta)H but I don't know which to use or when.

Physics news on Phys.org
atOnz said:
(snip)I know q=mc(delta)t and q=n(delta)H but I don't know which to use or when.

At least make a stab at it --- what's q? m? c? deltaT? n? deltaH? Look at the definitions of those quantities.

Fair enough, the least I can do is try it. Basically I will find the heat required to bring the lead to it's melting point using q = mc(delta)t.
So, q = (100g)(0.159/J/g°C)(328°C-25°C)...
q = 4.8x10^3 J.

After finding that out I need to find the energy required to actually melt the lead and change it's form from solid to a liquid. I would use q = n(delta)H.

n = the amount of moles per the 100g given. So 100g / 207.2g/mol = 0.483mol.

q = (0.483mol)(5.0kJ/mol) = 2.4kJ.
----------------------------------------
So I have some numbers, and I assume that I add the two together. If I do infact have to do this, which unit (kJ or J) should I express it in?

atOnz said:
(snip)So I have some numbers, and I assume that I add the two together. If I do infact have to do this, which unit (kJ or J) should I express it in?

See? Not so hard was it? Units? Pick one, or use both --- delH, or q, = x.yzx kJ, or xyzx J. If you've got an obsessive-compulsive, anal-retentive teacher, use whatever you've been told --- "both" usually keeps such people happy.

Haha alright. I'd normally follow your "obsessive-compulsive, anal-retentive teacher" advice but this is the first set of work I've passed into him, and he has yet to say what he preferrs.

It's not that I can't do the work, it's that I hate not knowing if I'm right or wrong or even in the same ball park.

Thank you for your help!

-Jay

Related to Calculate Total Energy Required to Melt 100g of Lead

1. How can I calculate the total energy required to melt 100g of lead?

To calculate the total energy required to melt 100g of lead, you will need to use the specific heat capacity and the latent heat of fusion for lead. The specific heat capacity for lead is 0.13 J/g°C and the latent heat of fusion is 24.47 J/g. You will also need to know the initial and final temperatures of the lead.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of lead?

The specific heat capacity of lead is 0.13 J/g°C. This means that it takes 0.13 joules of energy to raise the temperature of 1 gram of lead by 1 degree Celsius.

3. What is the latent heat of fusion for lead?

The latent heat of fusion for lead is 24.47 J/g. This is the amount of energy required to melt 1 gram of lead without changing its temperature.

4. How do I determine the initial and final temperatures of the lead?

The initial temperature is the temperature of the lead before any heat is applied. The final temperature is the temperature of the lead after it has completely melted. You can measure these temperatures using a thermometer.

5. Can I use this calculation for other materials besides lead?

No, the specific heat capacity and latent heat of fusion values are specific to each material. You will need to find the specific values for the material you are trying to melt in order to accurately calculate the total energy required to melt it.