Buying a beginner pair of binoculars

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter brother time
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beginner Pair
In summary: Thanks for going GOLD Kalam! I have a pair of 10x50 Celestrons that are pretty good, though my go-to's are an older pair of Nikon 7x50s. Nobody should venture out into the night without a decent pair of binoculars, even if you have a nice 'scope. Mine are always with me.In summary, a beginner pair of binoculars could be bought for around $30 at a store like Ocean Pacific. Orion's Giantview series are a good option, though they may suffer from glare issues. A telescope would be a better option for people new to observational astronomy.
brother time
I'm a freshman in high school and was thinking of buying a beginner pair of binoculars. Could someone suggest one I might buy?

Astronomy news on Phys.org

brother time said:
I'm a freshman in high school and was thinking of buying a beginner pair of binoculars. Could someone suggest one I might buy?
Celestron's 10x50s are pretty nice for the price, and they are often on sale at larger dealers. I think I paid less than $30 for mine at Ocean Pacific, and there was a green laser pointer and a red LED chart-light in the bundle. I bought them so I'd have an extra pair of binoculars in my vehicle for quick looks at birds, etc, and I don't want to leave my Nikons in the vehicle.

I recommend any Orion binocs. I have had some trouble with Celestron binoculars recently. The insides were not coated, and I would get horrible glare, making them completely useless. The Orions have had some problems with being properly collimated, but their customer service is fantastic, and they will get them sorted out for you in no time.

The Orion Giantview series is probably my favourite. A reasonable price, and plenty of aperture to catch all sorts of faint stars! You can get lost out there with these.

KalamMekhar said:
I recommend any Orion binocs. I have had some trouble with Celestron binoculars recently. The insides were not coated, and I would get horrible glare, making them completely useless. The Orions have had some problems with being properly collimated, but their customer service is fantastic, and they will get them sorted out for you in no time.

The Orion Giantview series is probably my favourite. A reasonable price, and plenty of aperture to catch all sorts of faint stars! You can get lost out there with these.
Thanks for going GOLD Kalam! I have a pair of 10x50 Celestrons that are pretty good, though my go-to's are an older pair of Nikon 7x50s. Nobody should venture out into the night without a decent pair of binoculars, even if you have a nice 'scope. Mine are always with me.

I have a 6" APO refractor and an 80mm APO finder/guide scope, but I always have the Nikons at hand when I go out to observe. Using both eyes is much more natural to people new to observational astronomy, so decent binoculars and charts can advance their knowledge of the night sky lots faster than GOTO mounts, scopes, etc ever could.

I would recommend doing some research on different brands and models of binoculars before making a purchase. Consider factors such as magnification power, objective lens size, and overall quality of the optics. It may also be helpful to read reviews from other users to get an idea of the performance and durability of the binoculars. Additionally, consider your budget and how often you will be using the binoculars to determine the best option for you. Some reputable brands for beginner binoculars include Celestron, Bushnell, and Nikon. Ultimately, the best binoculars for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences.

Related to Buying a beginner pair of binoculars

1. What is the ideal magnification for a beginner's pair of binoculars?

The ideal magnification for a beginner's pair of binoculars is between 7x to 10x. Higher magnification can make it difficult to stabilize the image and can result in a shaky or blurry view.

2. What is the recommended objective lens size for a beginner's pair of binoculars?

The recommended objective lens size for a beginner's pair of binoculars is between 25mm to 42mm. A larger objective lens allows for more light to enter the binoculars, resulting in a brighter and clearer image. However, larger objective lenses also make the binoculars heavier and bulkier.

3. Should I choose roof prism or porro prism binoculars?

Either type of prism can be a good choice for a beginner's pair of binoculars. However, roof prism binoculars tend to be more compact and have a sleeker design, while porro prism binoculars often have a wider field of view and are more affordable.

4. Are waterproof and fog-proof features necessary for a beginner's pair of binoculars?

Having waterproof and fog-proof features can be beneficial for any pair of binoculars, including for beginners. These features can protect the binoculars from moisture and ensure a clear view even in challenging weather conditions. However, they may increase the cost of the binoculars.

5. What is a reasonable budget for a beginner's pair of binoculars?

The price range for beginner's binoculars can vary greatly, but a reasonable budget is typically between $50 to $200. It's important to consider the quality and features of the binoculars within this price range and choose one that best fits your needs and budget.