Best metal mask for BOE/HF etching?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a metal mask for BOE or HF etching in order to prevent the gradual peeling of normal photoresist which affects the results. The individuals involved are unsure of which metal would be the most effective, with options such as Cr/Au, Al, and Ni being mentioned. They also mention the possibility of using photoresist and the issue of underetching, providing a document with tips for reference.
Yinxiao Li
I am thinking about using a metal mask for BOE or HF etching because I realize that for normal photoresist, it will gradually peel off and affect my results. I don't know which metal is the best--so far, I see people use Cr/Au, Al, and Ni. Anybody knows which metal will give the best result?

Yinxiao Li said:
I am thinking about using a metal mask for BOE or HF etching because I realize that for normal photoresist, it will gradually peel off and affect my results. I don't know which metal is the best--so far, I see people use Cr/Au, Al, and Ni. Anybody knows which metal will give the best result?
what about using photoresist?

Related to Best metal mask for BOE/HF etching?

1. What is the best metal mask for BOE/HF etching?

The best metal mask for BOE/HF etching is typically made of niobium or tantalum, as these metals have high resistance to hydrofluoric acid and can withstand the harsh etching process.

2. How thick should the metal mask be for BOE/HF etching?

The thickness of the metal mask for BOE/HF etching depends on the specific etching process and the desired etch depth. Generally, the mask should be thick enough to withstand the etching process and maintain its structural integrity.

3. Can a metal mask be reused for BOE/HF etching?

Yes, a metal mask can be reused for multiple BOE/HF etching processes as long as it is properly cleaned and maintained. However, over time, the mask may wear down and need to be replaced.

4. How do I choose the right metal mask for my specific etching needs?

The right metal mask for BOE/HF etching will depend on the specific etching process, the materials being etched, and the desired etch depth. It is important to consult with experts in the field to determine the best mask for your specific needs.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when handling a metal mask for BOE/HF etching?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when handling a metal mask for BOE/HF etching. This may include using protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and working in a well-ventilated area to avoid exposure to any hazardous chemicals.